Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RinkoWingman

15 week old and her naps

karhu is offline Registered User

15 week old and her naps

Hi there,

My 15 week old baby is not napping very well and I would like any suggestions/advice you might have!

She needs to fall asleep in our arms then if she is wrapped up then she can nap in her own cot for 25-1hr... But if she wakes up half way or after 20-30 mins she cries and gets real upset, and sometimes inconsolable even when you hold her... Although other times if I rock her and shhh her then she would go back to sleep after a bit of crying!!

I think this is not working out as my husband gets home before me and she would cry after waking up from her nap and he would call and ask me when I'll be home and what he was supposed to do!!! And I got home tonight with him lying on the bed looking at baby in the cot crying badly and he said "can't help you dude" to the baby!!!!!!

Baby sleeps well at night (I nurse her to sleep) and sleeps for 8-9 hrs!

Sorry for long post! Thanks!!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    perhaps you can make sure your baby is wrapped up properly in a blanket (try miracle blanket) so she feels safe...turn on the music and rock her for a few minutes before putting her down. make sure whatever routine you decide on is followed by everyone in the house, so that she doesn't become on relient on you to sleep, but rather on the "way" she is put to bed. also, what I found out worked for my babies was when I put them down gently to bed, to make sure that he was leaning on something so that he would think that i was holding him in a sense (those long hard cylindrical pillows - dont use anything soft).

does she take a pacifier? might work as the soothing motion can calm her down. milk? perhaps giving her a teeny bit of milk will calm her down? that's what we do if my baby wakes up in the middle of the night...instead of rocking to sleep, we give him a few oz *he's much older than your baby though and he goes straight back to sleep!

another thing is...it is OK for the baby to cry a bit - just make sure the basics...diaper, hunger, pain are eliminated. you really don't want to respond each time there is a cry unless for one of the above basic reasons...she will have to eventually learn calm herself down and sleep...perhaps if she holds a small towel? two of mine ALWAYS had to have a small towel to hold to fall asleep - even now, and the oldest is 4!

just make sure whatever you decide, the "procedure" is known to all and consistently used so that anyone can put baby to bed...not only you! too much pressure on you if that is the case - not very healthy situation.

RinkoWingman is offline Registered User
    I realize that your baby is more than half a year older now, but I just read this post while my own 15 weeks old girl is falling asleep next to me in her cot.

I went online because it seems that my girl would not be able to fall back to sleep after waking up from a 45 min nap. She couldn't this morning.
    And now she was so awake she really didn't seem to be able to fall back to sleep.
    But as I was searching the web and reading your post, everytime she cried, I gave her the dummy and told her that she hadn't slept long enough and needed to fall back to sleep. It took her about 15 mins before she suddenly calmed down and she's almost asleep now. I'm so proud of myself. There were at least three moments in which I really wanted to get her out, thinking 'this is no use, she's too awake'. But I didn't because I was searching for tips.
    There! That was the cute deep sigh she gives when she's off to dreamland!
    It worked!!

I will definitely try this again. She was always fairly easy to sooth back to sleep, but according to 'Wonder weeks' she's in her 3rd leap now. That means a long stormy period for most babies.
    They have a great app that shows you a map and explains what she's going through.
    Especially if you have a husband that doesn't really get what the baby needs..

I easily get agitated when she cries insanely. I think guys have a hard time relating to it. It doesn't make sense to us. When she's fed, cleaned, played with and okay. Why doesn't she sleep?
    Well. This app brings science into it, for me. There's nothing wrong, she's just leaping. Nothing that I am to blame for. Etc. helps me stay calm and understanding.
    Which helps her. She doesn't listen to my strict voice yet. That doesn't bring safety and comfort. But that is the way I've been handling things my whole life. Wake up call dad. Not anymore. Well. Not for now at least.

I guess we need to research every new aspect everytime something stops working. No logic, yes science.

Any other tips?

Rick
    cctry likes this.

RinkoWingman is offline Registered User
    She slept that sleep for 2:23 hours in total. Much like she normally would, but then now with the 20 min break.

Later today she had the same short sleep and couldn't get back to sleep. 45 mins later she finally crashed. I can stretch it that long because she doesn't go to that tantrum-level. She's just upset.
    But after all that she woke up ten minutes layer and I could clearly smell reflux. So, that must hurt.

So I picked her up now.
    ;-)

karhu is offline Registered User
    My baby is almost 1 now! Time flies! She now naps pretty well, 1 to 1.5 hours, 2 naps a day, my helper holds her and sings to her so she calms down then puts her in her cot then pats her to sleep! But when I put her in the cot to sleep she just gets up and wants to play so I hold her in my arm and let her fuss till she sleeps....

It gets easier and she was one of those babies that needed to be swaddled till almost 6 months and now she sleeps much better at night also, for awhile she would wake 2-3 times at night

Good luck and enjoy!!!