Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Anyone experienced MULTIPLE MISCARRIAGES and then went on to have a healthy child?

planning a baby is offline Registered User

Anyone experienced MULTIPLE MISCARRIAGES and then went on to have a healthy child?

This subject (MC) can be a bit taboo and it's been hard to find someone who has had a similar experience who can fully understand, especially with multiple miscarriages.

Am just wondering if anyone else out there has been through the same thing for support or if anyone has had a successful pregnancy after multiple miscarriages for some hope.

I've had 3 miscarriages in the past 3 years. Two 1st trimester losses (natural MC) and one second trimester loss (D&C). Tests have been done but no causes found (i.e. blood tests all ok and no chromosomal defects in baby found).

I don't seem to have a problem getting pregnant, but it is keeping it that ive been failing at.

I've heard and know of women who have miscarriages in between their healthy children, but it feels different as I have not been able to have a child yet (although I don't mean to make it sound less painful for anyone who have had a miscarriage after having children, as a loss is a loss - but just the difference in sadness of not having any children yet and possibly different medical causes).

It would be great to hear if anyone did successfully go on to have a successful pregnancy after multiple MCs and I would be really grateful to hear if any special treatment was given or if they did anything differently or who they sought in HK for professional advice.

I guess I am looking for some 'hope' as my husband and I will try again, but of course there is some fear (actually, lots of fear) of possible loss again and it is difficult with the feeling of helplessness of not knowing what I can possibly do to prevent a loss from happening again. It doesn't get easier after each miscarriage.

I'm also in my late 30s now and just hope my eggs are not just passed it already!
    So naturally getting anxious to find a way.

I've been taking folic acid supplements and reducing a lot of stress factors in my life already. I already have quite a healthy diet and have no weight issues.

I am not that religious but I find myself praying a lot these days!

Roshna is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Which ob-gyn are you seeing? Have they tried heparin and a daily baby aspirin?

I had two MC - then i got tested and the doc found out (because i insisted on this particular test) that I had killer cells. My body would expel anything new to it. So my ob-gyn put me on a low dose of corticosteroid everytime we TTC'd. I also was on heparin injected directly onto tummy and baby aspirin daily (this treatment i've heard from other moms who have had 2 MC and seem to have no other reason for not keeping the pregnancy). Then once i was pregnant, they weaned me off the steriods within the first 3 months (no harm to baby) and from the beginning of the preganncy, put me on progesterone suppositories (i've heard the effectivity of this is debatable).

It's a tough situation to be in. you have to do some research (not too much or you'll go nuts! The internet is freind and foe!) and you also have a gut feeling of what might work for you. I knew when i read about that autoimmune problem of killer cells that that was my problem. My ob gyn was sceptical it would be that but did the test (i'm paying for it anyway, right?). I think he was kinda surprised that it did turn out to be the problem and he also needed to do some research on the treatment for it. They kinda upped and downed my steriod doses in the beginning till we came to an okay-for-me level.

I wish you the best of luck.
    Mcbeebee likes this.

Recurrent miscarriages

Hi Roshna,

Thanks for reply and advice.

I had the test for autoimmune diseases already and results came out negative.
    The doctor couldn't find a cause with all the tests he ordered.
    I'm told it is probably a good thing the tests all came out negative and to just try again when ready.

I just hate it when there is a problem, (i.e. if spotting or blood clot discharged when pregnant) being told to "just wait and observe". I guess the doctor can't do anything at that stage, but it makes me feel helpless that I can't save my little ones that don't end up surviving.

It's very hard when there are no answers. Am trying to stay hopeful!

Roshna is offline Registered User
    But the doctor should help you while you are trying. like the heparin and aspirin has been given to many women with unexplained cause of miscarriage.

in the autoimmune tests, was there one specific to killer cells?

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    I had 2 miscarriages, then a child, then two more miscarriages and then another child if that helps. I was in my 40s for all 6 pregnancies. I know it is very hard, the worst for me was when i had had the first 2 miscariages so know where you are now ( they gave me all the tests then due to my age and a history of blood clotting problems but they all came back negative). I'm more than happy to provide more detailed information or just chat if you PM me.

Do you mean Thrombophilia?
    If so, I was tested for that already and was negative.
    I've heard heparin and aspirin is given to women with this condition.
    But it doesn't seem I have that with the negative test results.

alfa is offline Registered User
    I was put on a course of steroids for the first 3 months - it is still quite a new treatment but there were a number of research papers on it in the uk and it is nw recommended as a treatment for women with unexplained miscariages. It worked - I also was put on aspirin. Maybe worth discussing with your doctor?

The aspirin is not related to thrombofilia it is about creating better blood flow in your uterus and also to avoid cloting.

Also have you had a hysteroscopy done? It is when they put a fibrooptic camera in your uterus to chcek for fibroids and other problems in your uterus.

I know it is very very frustrating but hang in there and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by alfa View Post
    I was put on a course of steroids for the first 3 months - it is still quite a new treatment but there were a number of research papers on it in the uk and it is nw recommended as a treatment for women with unexplained miscariages. It worked - I also was put on aspirin. Maybe worth discussing with your doctor?

The aspirin is not related to thrombofilia it is about creating better blood flow in your uterus and also to avoid cloting.

Also have you had a hysteroscopy done? It is when they put a fibrooptic camera in your uterus to chcek for fibroids and other problems in your uterus.

I know it is very very frustrating but hang in there and good luck!
    I've never heard of having a hysteroscopy done before. That's interesting!
    I did think about the aspirin. My doc said he'd already tested for autoimmune diseases which can cause blood clot but my tests were negative for that.

My early 1st trimester MCs were first noticed with spotting each time.
    My 2nd trimester MC was first noticed at 20 weeks with a couple of small blood clots discharged.

So I did keep asking about the clots, but the doc said the clots were more likely just from the after affects of the baby already estimated to have died (for unknown reason) about two weeks before (at 18 weeks) rather than the actual cause.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast