Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 months and just did blood test for down syndrome

Wolfie is offline Registered User

4 months and just did blood test for down syndrome

Hi all,

I thought I was 3 months pregnant when I went for my first check up but it turns out I am actually 4 months. So it was too late to do the first basic test for down syndrome. They took my blood a few day ago for testing, and just called and asked me to come in to talk. I'm assuming that's bad news because from what I've read here if nothing is wrong they don't call.

So does anyone know what I can expect tomorrow? I assume it will be my risk factor, but is there anything else (i.e. anything minor) they could be calling about? One friend told me her sister had been called in after the down syndrome test, but when she went to the hospital, they just told her she had high blood pressure. Should I expect the worst, or hope it is something minor?

Has anyone else been called in after the blood test, and the news has not been so bad??

Freaking out here!!!

matemate is offline Registered User
    usually something minor. in fact a professional doctor would always talk in person, positive or negative test

Thanks mate mate... This is what I'm wondering about -- what are the other minor things that could be picked up from the tests? I'd love to hear from other moms who were called in and it wasn't anything to panic about.... what else do they call you in for?

By the way this was at Tsan Yuk.......... first baby, I'm 31, husband is 44.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Good luck today.

It's quite possible that they found something that isn't necessarily an indication of Downs but a change in the overall numbers. I don't think the blood test can actually definitively tell one way or another--it just changes the risk factor numbers such that you need to consider your next steps.

We had an ultrasound early on that showed a 'marker'--something that they were concerned about. It took our risk factor from 1:250 down to 1:100 and the recommendation was to then do an amnio. This could be something similar--something in the blood test is changing the numbers they've given you based on age / history to something else.

Okay so it isn't that bad from the sounds of it. The risk factor was 1:205 and the cut off point is 1:250 so it isn't THAT bad. Plus, the second trimester blood test is only 60% accurate. Decided not to do the amnio at Tsan Yuk. Instead, going tomorrow to Adventist to do the non-invasive blood test (T21) to get definitive results. Although part of me just wants to not bother with all this stress, and hope for the best!

carang is offline Registered User
    "just" highblood pressure can kill both mum & baby. It is one of the most dangerous things to have when you are pregnant! Believe me, i know! I was in the "if you get excited you could have a stroke or heart attack" blood pressure range for two pregnancies. Also developed pre-eclampsia and had to deliver prematurely by emergency c-section.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    The risk factor was 1:205 and the cut off point is 1:250 so it isn't THAT bad.
    risk factors is such a bad measure to give to people since most people cannot really deal with it. the above example just shows. 1:250 is a pretty good score for a 35 y old but a pretty poor score for a 25y old. your doctor told you it's a cut off point but i think it means pretty much nothing. another blood test will just make you more nervous and scared

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast