Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Contractions and when to go to hospital

dressuphk is offline Registered User
    Oh I am having contraction now... actually 5~8 min apart lasting 1 min each time... thinking we should just wait a little longer before we jump into a taxi... but I don't know how dilated I am... but I have been having contractions since 5/6 this morning, but it kinda slow down around noon but it comes back again.. now I am this contraction can last last last...... but it's really hard to decide whether or not go to hospital now since I am afraid it will stop again...

karhu is offline Registered User
    Go if you are unsure... The hospital nurses or midwives will know what to do

daddytobe is offline Registered User
    Your doctor will usually let you know when to go to the hospital. I believe you need to go right away when the water breaks as the baby is coming fairly soon. Otherwise you have to time the contractions and wait until you are a certain amount of time apart before going to the hospital. They usually encourage the patients to do this, because people prefer the comfort of their own home right up until it's time to deliver, rather than sitting in the hospital longer than needed. In some cases, you may even be sent home if you come too early.

karhu is offline Registered User
    Sometimes baby doesn't come for a long while after your water breaks! The reason you need to go to the hospital when your water breaks is because there is an increased chance of infection

daddytobe is offline Registered User
    Hmm that is a good point as my mother's water was leaking a week before she had me. However, this could cause complications and infection, so I think the best bet is to call your doctor so he/she can advise on when to come in to the hospital.

Linda Drake-Yee is offline Registered User
    Such great labour stories! Each woman and situation is so different. My advice to women has always been - keep as relaxed as you can. If contractions start during the night, try to doze and stay in bed until you simply just can't. When contractions feel painful enough that you can't keep still, start timing them. When you feel you need more support and you are not comfortable being at home, call your midwife or hospital. At that point your contractions may be every four minutes or every five minutes. How safe and comfortable YOU feel is the guide. Staying at home longer is one of the ways to avoid early intervention, like epidural or continuous monitoring. Read up as much as you can about what can happen in labour and find out what you think you want to feel safe. Being well informed and prepared is empowering and reduces fear. I hope all goes well for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123