Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

What to write as reference for helper we are firing

peainpod is offline Registered User
    @giginium: actually i have also been warned by friends to be careful with our valuables. Actually I was even advised to buy a small safe for the future. (In fact, I am surprised at how many ppl own safes here in HK!) Of course, we keep our important docs and jewellery locked up in a drawer - but it has never occurred to us to buy a safe. (Our really important things are kept in a safety deposit box at a bank.) But I now know of more than one friend who bought a safe after hiring a helper.

Since this has happened, I have heard many stories and advice from different ppl. Some even advised me to get rid of my landline since that apparently is one thing a helper needs in order to secure a debt. (Not sure if it's true...) Others have told me to ask to hold on the passport and contract of my new helper (but I think that's actually illegal - altho some say it's not if the helper is fine with it??)

Anyway, it's all very confusing and sometimes, I think I should just not get a full-time helper at all! I work part-time (16 hours a week) at a consulate job so my hours are short and regular, and I really only need a helper on the two days I work full-time.
    Last edited by peainpod; 09-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    a passport is the property of the issuing country. it is completely illegal to hold the passport of your helper, willingly or otherwise.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    a passport is the property of the issuing country. it is completely illegal to hold the passport of your helper, willingly or otherwise.
    While I think it is completely unacceptable to request or hold your helpers passport, I am curious as to why you think it is illegal? Which law is being broken?

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Aren't there laws to deal with harassment of any kind? Is firing always the answer? Again, I wouldn't like it but if my helper was marvelous and got herself into trouble I would probably rather deal with it that way. It's the right and choice of the employer, of course. Harassment is illegal even in the case of someone making poor financial choices. If someone showed up at my place of employment or home to harass me about someone else's debts I would immediately call the police.

Thanka2, clearly you have never had this happen to you. It's all nice in theory to involve law enforcement but you are at the bottom of the police's to do list. When the thugs show up at your home you are lucky if they show up 2 hours later, that is if they show up at all. You'll get more help from your own management office.

In terms of the police doing somethings about the harassing phone calls and mail, again they drag their feet, and usually tell you to sort it out with the debt collectors themselves. This is real life. all the while you are wasting your time calling the police ect, you and your family are getting harassed, especially your terrified children. This can drag on for weeks to months. The most effective method of getting rid of these thugs is to show them a termination letter and usually they will confirm with the management downstairs that the said person no longer lives at your place after coming round a few more times.

I think its fair enough if you want to get yourself into trouble, and even if you want to get your own wife/husband/children into trouble with debt collectors but to force others to endure this for your own folly is incorrect.

That said, I'm all for free will. If as an employer you're willing to tough it out with these people for your helper, than my hat off to you, but I don't think its fair to pass these helpers onto a new employer.

btw I don't think your helper falls into the usual category. She obviously paid off her debts otherwise you would have known about it.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    OP you could also pass the helper's address in the Phillipines or Indonesia to the debt collectors and that way get them off your back especially if they don't let up after you have fired her. This will probably teach her to stop doing this to other employers if it is a pattern/habit that she has formed.

Unfortunately, I have very little sympathy for this sort of scenario having been through this with my in laws. It is an awful awful time, and peainapod, I totally know what you are going through. Know that the problem will go away but (I hope) that you may be able to stop her doing this to some other poor unsuspecting employer.

carang is offline Registered User
    a passport is not personal property. it is the property of the issuing country. it is illegal to hold and keep someone else's passport. you can search for relevant documentation yourself.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Sorry, I think you are wrong. Morally reprehensible yes, illegal no.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Sorry, I think you are wrong. Morally reprehensible yes, illegal no.
    pls do a few google searches : illegal withheld passports
    and this one : Retaining workers' passports illegal

You will find many links to newspapers, embassies, lawyers etc etc etc...
    And here is a decent FAQ with good pointers and summary : http://www.dubaifaqs.com/passport-ke...ployer-uae.php
    carang likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast