Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree13Likes

What to write as reference for helper we are firing

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by peainpod View Post
    Ironically, when I tried to ask my helper for her passport - as I need to write down the Visa Number which is now required on the Notice of Termination to HK Immig, she doesn't have it either!! Apparently she has given it to somebody as collateral for a $2000 loan and now needs $2800 to get it back ($200 per month as interest, and this was 4 mths ago)

Anyway, it's neither here nor there. Personally I have never - and don't intend to hold a helper's passport. I was just sharing what someone told me and I really didn't mean to open up this can of worms!
    Wow. This most recent update made me laugh. Not because it's funny but because it's incredible how convoluted this situation is for your helper. She's in a sorry state. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragically horrible.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Thanka, I found the situation a bit ridiculous too. But not sure my helper is in a tragic situation, to be honest. She has left my household and we parted on good terms. (She even hoped to come back to work for us in a few years when this blows over.)

Anyway, it seems this happens a lot. Helpers take on loans way beyond their means and then they skip town and come back to a different household with "more or less a clean slate". Of course my helper says her credit is ruined so no more borrowing from banks - but i'm sure there are many institutions who would still be happy to lend to them.

In my case, if it had been a "manageable" debt, perhaps we might consider helping her. But given she owes over $100,000 (to many dif ppl) and I can't envision her working it off in a reasonable timeframe, there was no way we could keep hiring her. And to be honest, I think she prefers to just walk away from it rather than work for years to pay it off. Btw, I'm not endorsing this at all, just telling it as I see it.

On the plus side, the lenders seem to be more "understanding" of the situation. Most of the calls we have received after she left have simply asked for the Immigration letter confirming termination. I did get one very nasty call from a collection agency threatening me and swearing at me but I told him I was recording the conversation (I bought a USB phone recorder in anticipation of this) and said I will report to the police if needed. The next day I actually got a call from a dif guy apologizing profusely for the first one and saying he'd fired him for it! Obviously it's prob not true but it's still good to know they fear police involvement and harassment charges.
    carang and thanka2 like this.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by peainpod View Post
    Ironically, when I tried to ask my helper for her passport - as I need to write down the Visa Number which is now required on the Notice of Termination to HK Immig, she doesn't have it either!! Apparently she has given it to somebody as collateral for a $2000 loan and now needs $2800 to get it back ($200 per month as interest, and this was 4 mths ago)

Anyway, it's neither here nor there. Personally I have never - and don't intend to hold a helper's passport. I was just sharing what someone told me and I really didn't mean to open up this can of worms!
    We went through this a few years ago as well. I tried to help my helper to pay off her loans, as we really liked her and her loan was manageable. Also, she was new to HK and didn't expect to be taken advantage off by her own cousin here.
    When I asked to see her passport, we also discovered that her friend was holding it. I paid the friend and got the passport back, and then we figured out a repayment schedule to pay the big loan her cousin and her had taken out.

If the loan was over 100K I may not have done it either.
    carang and thanka2 like this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234