Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice seeking please

kirvana is offline Registered User

Advice seeking please

Dear all,

I am only a couple of days old at GeoBaby's Education Forums and have already been impressed by the insightful information you have kindly shared with others. Just wondered if you would be able to offer any advice for me to come up with an education plan for my 11-month old daughter.

I have been in the UK for nine years for work with my wife who speaks only a little English. Both of us are native Mandarin speakers and our Cantonese language capability nears zero. Recently I have been offered a job in Hong Kong and we are planning to relocate to the region in three months' time. Our excitement was quickly cooled down when we realised the difficulties of getting kids to international schools in HKG.

It would be great if you could help with the following questions,

1. It seems that getting into an international school such as ESF needs a battle but how difficult to enroll into one of ESF's kinder gardens and is there a waiting list too?

2. ESF’s admissions policy defines a Cat One for their primary school interview as “Children who speak English as a first or alternative language but do not speak Cantonese and/or read and write Chinese characters”. My wife has been thinking about taking our daughter back to Beijing, our hometown for a couple of years first and then settle in Hong Kong when our little one reaches three. Am I right to assume that if we were lucky to enroll into ESF’s kindergarden, my daughter would command English to an acceptable level after K1 and K2 in order to meet the Cat One criteria?

Other than ESF, any other options can we also consider? Basically, we would like our kid to get educated in a decent and reasonably priced international school so that she will be able to speak both English and Mandarin fluently (we will teach her Mandarin at home anyway, a Cantonese capability would be a plus but not essential). Budgetwise, I will be the single incomer with a package of HKD720k per annum (HKD60K per month).

Your great help would be muchly appreciated!

carang is offline Registered User
    there are dozens of int'l schools. you could even choose the Chinese Int'l School or Kiangsu & Chekiang Int'l School and have your little one learn in Mandarin/putonghua and english!

kirvana is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    there are dozens of int'l schools. you could even choose the Chinese Int'l School or Kiangsu & Chekiang Int'l School and have your little one learn in Mandarin/putonghua and english!
    Thanks Carang for your info. Much appreciated.