Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Helper now what to do :-(

carang is offline Registered User
    do you tell your helper everything going on in your life? i'm guessing not.
    why should she have to tell you that her husband wants to come to hk to work? it's none of your business.

as for not being "able" to give her 24 hours off..... all i can do is shake my head in disbelief. i am making you feel guilty? good. you should. what you are doing is illegal and as far as i'm concerned immoral and unethical.

i'm not judging you as a person. i am judging your actions. you may treat your helper very well in every other respect. i don't know. i do know that if you were working and your boss was not giving you what was legally due, i'm sure you would have something to say about it.

what difference does it make to you if she leaves to visit her husband at 9pm at night or at 7am in the morning? you can't handle your kids for an over night?

sorry, but i'm currently dealing with unethical people in a totally unrelated situation and it just beggars belief.
    elle, bobotse and genkimom like this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2000 View Post
    Cara, its not about me being nice employer or not. I think I am qqute nice to her and we do take care of her well.
    I had told her she can leave sunday mornign any time and spend the whole day out but not the night even before we hired her, anyways thats a different aspect.
    Please dont make me more anxious by making me feel guilty :) I am already quite nervous

my worry is that I might have to hire yet another helper and then train her and then hope that the next one would work

the one before this one had a husband cheating on her and had to leave for manilla asap.
    You should be anxious - you are BREAKING THE LAW by not giving your helper a continuous period of 24 hours off once each week, which includes a right to spend a night outside of your residence. There are NO exceptions. Per the Labour Department: "You should provide your helper at least one rest day in every period of seven days. A rest day is a continuous period of not less than 24 hours." http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

Whatever your difficult circumstances are, they do not give you the right the take away your helper's legal right to a proper rest period and if she decides to, she has a solid labour claim against you simply for this. If you are not following the law, you are not a "good" employer in at least some respects.

Regarding her personal and marrital status, I still maintain that this is none of your business, UNLESS it interferes with her contractual work duties. What she does in her free time is none of your concern. In the real world employers don't ask about the marital or family status of employees while interviewing as it isn't appropriate or relevant to the job. If your helper choses to leave, to be with her husband more or for other reasons (for example, like an employer who doesn't give her a proper and legal break) that is her perogative and none of us can predict what she will do in the future. Some helpers leave to spend more time with their families, some don't...
    carang and bobotse like this.

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    this is going in a totallt different direction to what my purpose was

she herself told me about her husband, i never even asked about it , not even during the interview

my worry is that she might want to change, work part time and might even have planned it before hand. I obviously dont want to sit back ans relax till the day it actually happens
    All I wanted ti ask here is that has it actually worked out for someone who had her husband in hk and did thet manage the work and their life well?

she can't just change her mind. she is contractually bound to give you notice to terminate her contract. she can't just decide to live out.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Being a betting man that I am, I predict :
    - she will trade in her FDH visa in exchange for a dependent visa as soon as practical
    - give up her minimal salary and trade up for a much higher paying, relatively unskilled job of waitress or supermarket worker
    - signup for some courses to better herself and prepare for an even better job.

The OP is right to be worried but I doubt there is anything that can be done at all.
    shwetakhanna and carang like this.

and you know the amount of time & effort it takes to hire a new one
    1 month of notice is just not enough :(

my worry is that she was working fine with us but with a husband being here, I cant see why would she not try to get somnething to suite more (a better job in a restaurant etc)
    while thats good for her and I dont want to stop it, it just worrries me that I would have to try another helper and hope it works out (and the painful process of interviewing etc :( )

btw guys do you know whats the minimum salary to sponsor a dependent? she mentioned he would work in a "security company: in mongkok (i think as a secuirty guard)
    do you know 10-12k hk can sponsor wife as a depenedent?

there is no hard and fast rule. it is on a case by case basis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Scroll to top