Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Helper now what to do :-(

rs2000 is offline Registered User

Helper now what to do :-(

Hi All

I have two kids and really need a helper to be around.
    Now our helper arrived 3 weeks back and has been doing ok. Now she was very happy yesterday and then told me that her husband is Nepali ( she is from phillipines) and he has found a job in hk in Mongkok in some security firm.
    She was working in Dubai before and now told me that hey husband also worked in dubai
    I really don't want to spoil her family life but I can't see how she will continue to work with us once herbhysbandbus here , she might other part time or somewhere where she can go to her husband at night.
    We let hey take day off in Sunday but still need her to be around Saturday night .
    And with two
    Kids , she might want to find a home with lesser work
    Load
    Pls can you share your experiences ? Do you think I need to start looking for a replacement ? I can wait for 2 months for the next helper to arrive if the current one decides to leave or disappear
    I am sick of all these helper issues....... Please give your inputs

(btw she did not mention any of this information during the interviews)
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    you can just tell her straight up what you expect and see what she is planning on doing with her hubby. ask her before you start coming up with possibilities in your own mind. you can hardly blame her for being excited, can you? even if they see each other once/week, it is better than it is now for them, right?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I think that first of all, you shouldn't assume you know this couple or how they are going to be together. It's very likely that your helper would rather be employed than unemployed even if it limits the amount of time she spends with her husband. Also, in the case of people who marry and are married to someone else who works in the "overseas workers" sector, their idea of a "normal relationship" is bound to be different than your idea. You probably can't use your own understanding of your relationship with your husband to gauge their relationship. She (and he) are already used to being separated for long periods of time--they may have spent most of their married life apart. We hired a helper in the past who had such a situation. Her husband was in the middle east and they had gotten married on a "home leave" at some point and she hadn't physically been around him for years. As long as you can be a sympathetic and understanding employer and make some allowances for her then it's not necessarily true that she's going to up and leave you just because her husband is here in town. He likely will have a lot to do at his own work as well. But, if you have a negative feeling about the helper because she wasn't up front with you about her situation or have any other "gut feelings" that tip you off that she might not work out for your family, like Cara said, you probably need to sit down with her and be very direct about what you expect. If she doesn't agree fully to the terms, certainly start looking for a new helper as it will take awhile to find someone and bring them to work for you.
    carang likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

i can understand and am not against her for being happy
    the thing is that she did not tell me and the other thing is that she i would think she would be too distracted with hubby being in town (i might be wrong), i need her help managing 2 kids

what happens with us is that whenever we think we are settled with a helper, one thing or another with her personal life just ruins everything (yes this has happend twice in last 1 year)

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2000 View Post
    Hi All

I have two kids and really need a helper to be around.
    We let hey take day off in Sunday but still need her to be around Saturday night .
    I am sick of all these helper issues....... Please give your inputs

(btw she did not mention any of this information during the interviews)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    What, exactly, is your issue with your helper? That she is married? I don't see how that affects you in the least, as long as she does her job per her contract. That she wants some sort of a social or personal life? Again, that seems normal and entirely acceptable and to deprive her of it is not right (at least it doesn't seem so to me). You don't own her and again, her personal life, and what she does in her free time is none of your concern.
    Also, you must, by law, let her take a continuous period of 24 hours off once a week. This means that she is legally permitted to stay outside of your house either on Saturday or Sunday night. There are no exceptions to this law.
    carang and HK Foodie like this.

well as I said, i have no issues with her personal life
    but how many of helpers have their husbands around in HK? my worry is that she is planning something or might just opt to live out or do part time and stay with him.........

i know about the 24h rule and yes I cant let her do that. I have my own things and cant afford to do this.
    but anyways, the real question is that what do you all think about a situation like this and any experiences you can share.

thank you

carang is offline Registered User
    you can't afford to give your helper 1 entire day off???? no wonder you're worried. no offence, but i wouldn't want to work for you. you cannot possibly expect her to function properly without proper down time. i have 2 kids and run 3 businesses, yet i am able to give my helpers their 24 hours off/week.... what exactly makes you different? it doesn't matter what you can or cannot "afford" it has to do with how you treat people. not giving what is legally due them is just not acceptable. while i once had sympathy for you and your situation, it is now all gone.

as for your situation:

our first helper was with us for 6 years. at the 5 year mark, we hired her husband to come to hong kong from the middle east to work for us, too. they had lived apart for the better part of 20 years. they were constantly fighting with each other (i didn't hear it, she just would tell me how angry she was with him etc). after only a few months of living together in our home (their own bedroom etc), we noticed that on their one day off together, they would go separate ways. then she applied to work in canada. she's been gone for 18 months now and is in the process of filing the paper work for her husband to join her. i honestly have no idea how they will manage. the longest they've spent together as a married couple was the year that they were both working for us.

thanka is right, you can't make assumptions about them or their relationship or what it will be like.... they've had a very different marriage to what you have had (my assumption).
    HK Foodie likes this.

Cara, its not about me being nice employer or not. I think I am qqute nice to her and we do take care of her well.
    I had told her she can leave sunday mornign any time and spend the whole day out but not the night even before we hired her, anyways thats a different aspect.
    Please dont make me more anxious by making me feel guilty :) I am already quite nervous

my worry is that I might have to hire yet another helper and then train her and then hope that the next one would work

the one before this one had a husband cheating on her and had to leave for manilla asap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Scroll to top