Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Relocating to Singapore : can we take our DH ?

Ives is offline Registered User

Relocating to Singapore : can we take our DH ?

Hi,

we will be relocating to Singapore in a few months and would like to take along our DH.

Does anyone have experience with this and / or know of a reliable Agency that can handle the process ?

Many thanks.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It is theoretically possible, however most helpers would not accept such a move. The working conditions in Singapore are far inferior than HK - the pay is lower and time off is less. Even if you did give them the same pay/conditions, they may not want to follow you over because generally they'd rather be looking for work in HK rather than looking for work in Singapore (if for some reason you didn't need them any more). I know this is a generalisation but the first person I'd talk to about the possibility would be your helper. I suspect they may outright say "no".

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Nicolejoy, this used to be the case but the Singapore laws on DHs have changed recently. It is now mandatory for Singapore employers to give their helpers one day off for those starting on fresh contracts. However it is not mandatory to give the helper the gazetted public holidays off. The market rate for pay in Singapore is also now higher - not as high as HK but due to the strong SGD makes the salary about on par. As far as I know most families who bring their helpers along from HK do not pay the Singapore rate, but retain the HK level of salary, meaning that the 'transfer' helper is earning a good deal more than their counterparts in Singapore, due to their experience and good relationship with their employer. I have had friends who have brought their helpers over from HK to Singapore and it is purely a matter of agreement between both parties. In the case of one family who had 2 helpers, one helper chose to move with the family to Singapore whilst the other preferred to remain in HK.

Ives, there are plenty of Singapore agencies that handle transfer maids from HK. It is also to handle the paperwork yourself with the Ministry of Manpower.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    sorry, one day off per week

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm sorry if it is out of date - my previous post was mainly based on the experience of a good friend who relocated to Singapore last year. I didn't know that things had changed since then.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Again it depends on what your helper but wants but you probably should inform her that conditions for domestic helpers are more brutal in singapore than in HK. Yes, they now get their day off a week but not their public holidays. The 'unions' are not as well established in singapore. Also cost of living for food items/ect that they would use is more expensive than in HK. Finally from a maternity point of view, once they are discovered to be pregnant they are shipped off pronto home! With no extra pay.
    Logistically I assume it is possible but I have had a few friends try to take their domestic helpers to Singapore and every one has declined for the above reasons.

Ives is offline Registered User
    @lisa88

+++
    Ives, there are plenty of Singapore agencies that handle transfer maids from HK. It is also to handle the paperwork yourself with the Ministry of Manpower.
    +++

Many thanks - I presume this is a fairly straight forward process ?

Any Agencies to recommend ?

Our DH is quite happy to come along, we have a good relationship developed so it's something both sides want to maintain.