Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Is it ok to give a 7 month old fruit puree everyday?

Gracey is offline Registered User

Sorry iDoll! How interesting that "cooling" is also an Indian belief.
    And sorry I misunderstood you. I thought "Wow. Five servings of fruit a day. Crazy!"
    I think mixing different fruits is fine. A Chinese mom friend of mine gives her baby a big bowl of fruit salad every morning with many different kinds of fruits.
    For constipation, have you tried more green veg? Like very finely chopped cooked baby spinach? Boil broccoli put through a blender with some rice / potato? More whole grains? More water?
    Like Carang, I wouldn't give suppositories so young. The bowels have to be trained to work for themselves.

carang likes this.

idoll is offline Registered User

Gracey, no problem:) and my elders also advise against giving babies fruits in evening and night to avoid the 'cooling' caused by fruits. And I'm already giving her broccoli in the veggies and homemade whole grains cereal for dinner..
    And yea I know I shouldn't be using suppositories so often but I feel so bad seeing her trying so hard that I was hoping someone would say its ok..

Sent from my GT-S5830 using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by idoll; 09-12-2012 at 11:06 PM.

carang is offline Registered User

it's not. you could be creating a lot more trouble for her in the future.

just keep her hydrated and offer a little prune juice.

Thanks carang, I do agree with you, but I hate to see her like this:(
    I'm not using suppositories unless its really required..
    I'm already giving her prunes and pear puree in the mixed fruits. Should I increase the quantity then??
    making a new batch of fruit puree and this time I'm adding papaya and removing the apple.
    So it'll be cherries, blueberries, papaya, melon, pear, prunes and banana. its ok??
    Sent from my GT-S5830 using GeoClicks Mobile

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by idoll View Post
    Another quick question, inspite of giving her prunes and pear puree everyday she is constipated most of the time.. I have also started giving her water twice or thrice a day and little after her meals too, since a month maybe. But nothing seems to be helping!!

I feel its because she is holding it in anticipating the pain and that in turn is making it worse, im not sure though. Is it ok to use glycerin suppository twice or thrice a week?
    Is your daughter on formula? If your daughter is taking formula it is totally almost "normal" that she's going to get constipated. My son had problems with formula so we switched him to a goat's milk (goat's milk is most similar to human milk--far more so than cow's milk) formula and that completely cleared up his constipation.

Definitely DO NOT give her a glycerine enema! Those things are PAINFUL and you're going to create an even worse problem. Switch your daughter to a brand like Karihome goat's milk formula and see how things go. If need be, giving a simple water solution enema (you have to buy proper enema supplies and make sure you use distilled, boiled water with a bit of salt in it) is acceptable to give to a child but I wouldn't do glycerin at all.

Also, try adding real maple syrup to those fruit purees. My aunt who had 6 children swears by maple syrup for constipation--some people would say do corn syrup but maple syrup is at least nutritionally better for a baby. Try adding 1-2 teaspoons to her fruit puree and see how it goes.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

I also second Gracey on green vegetables. I used to make a "green smoothie" for my son when he was little that he actually loved. I would blend organic frozen spinach (Waitrose brand at Park n Shop) with apple (or pear), tiny bit of ginger, celery and a cucumber. If your child is REALLY having constipation problems go get some flaxseed or chia seed powder (Green Dot Dot usually has flax seed powder and I recently bought chia seed powder at a health food store in Causeway Bay--CitySuper has whole chia seed) and add a bit of that to the mix. You won't ever have problems with constipation again. My son loved this sweet green drink and I'd feed it to him with a spoon.

Again, I would check and see if in your own belief system "all fruits" are considered "cooling." In TCM, all fruits are not considered cooling and some have warming properties. I think it's much better to give greens before a child sleeps than sugary fruit anyway. Greens have a nourishing and calming effect on the body's organs which in turn helps us sleep better. I was recommended greens (dark greens such as broccoli or spinach) before sleep my a psychiatrist here in HK at one point as I was having sleeping difficulties. Works really well!

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Wanted to add...we tried and tried with prune juice and it never helped my son's constipation. We used a good, sugar-free brand (Sunrasia) and never had any results with it.

Mother of Two

thank you, I do agree with you'll on not using the suppositories. And I'm already giving her greens with mix cereal for dinner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast