Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Is it ok to give a 7 month old fruit puree everyday?

idoll is offline Registered User
    Thanka2 my daughter is on BM and not on formula at all. And yes prune juice doesn't seem to be helping at all. I guess ill try maple syrup or chia seeds.
    I really like the idea of your green smoothie. I'm thinking ill start her on that but maybe after shes little older. At what age did you start that for your kids?
    And yes not all fruits have cooling properties. I've bern told mangoes pineapple etc have warming properties
    Last edited by idoll; 09-13-2012 at 12:41 AM.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I see, idoll. It seems strange to me that if she's on BM she would truly be constipated. How much solid food does she intake each day. Besides fruit, what else are you feeding her? If you're giving rice cereal, which brand are you using? How much BM does she drink/day and are there any other fluids in her diet?

I started doing the green smoothie with my son when he was about 8-months-old. I would have started it much sooner (when he started having solids at 5 months) if I had known about it. There is nothing harmful to babies in it and it's a great way to get them a lot of fresh veggies and fiber.

Oh, in TCM, pineapple has cooling properties and thus I always got reprimanded for eating it while I was pregnant at my work. (I still ate it with no problems). I ate lots of mangoes right after I gave birth and credit them with giving me my energy back--so my experience with mangoes has been really positive.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

She has 2 meals lunch(holle brand semolina cereal and mix fruits) and dinner(homemade mix cereal and veggies).
    Already mentioned which ones earlier. She has apprx 1-2 ounces at each meal and i top it with BM immediately or little later depending on how hungry she is.
    Other than water that i mentioned before im not giving her any other liquids.
    And I have absolutely no idea how much BM she has, but she gets hungry every 3-4 hours plus she sleep feeds once or mostly twice in the night too..

Ohh and about the pineapple being hot or cold ill double check with my mother, but as far as I remember i think its hot, I could be wrong..

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My now 2 year old was severely constipated when starting solids. I eliminated all of the "BRAT" foods and gave her prunes til it was coming out of her ears, but she was still constipated so badly that she would bleed with every BM. We ended up having to put her on an oral medication called lactulose which helped a lot. Lactolose is a sugar which is not able to be digested by the human body, so it stays inside the intestines and never enters the blood stream, making it one of the safest medications ever. We started with a very low dose and slowly increased it until we found the optimal volume for her. She was on it daily for a couple of months, then we slowly reduced it again. For her, it was a life saver. Constipation as bad as she had it can cause issues with being scared of BMs because of the pain, leading to further constipation and anxiety (and later difficulty potty training). I would recommend it for babies who do have severe constipation which cannot be controlled by a change of diet. It is better to treat the problems now rather than create larger problems in the future.

Oh my god, this is scary. I think i should consult a doctor before starting her on lactulose..Ive started giving her papaya from today because someone told me its very good for constipation. Im thinking ill see for a couple of days, if its yet the same ill go to the doctor before it gets any worse..
    Thanks a lot nicolejoy..

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Constipation is a very common issue with LOs -- we got thru it with hundreds and thousands of Papaya.
    and make sure you avoid Mangoes which makes things worse.

carang is offline Registered User
    as do bananas (make things worse, i mean)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast