Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccination

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    It's not part of the government ones but definitely get it done...I would assume that kids are required to have it done upon entering school...
    No, it is not a required immunization to enter school. None of the schools that we have applied to require it. Doctors also differ in opinion regarding whether kids should have this one and parents should weigh the pros and cons after talking with their doctor.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    Our son just got his chicken pox vaccination as well. The doctor did mention however that getting this vaccination doesn't mean he won't get it, he could still but probably with less severe symptoms.
    elle likes this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by meimeid View Post
    Our son just got his chicken pox vaccination as well. The doctor did mention however that getting this vaccination doesn't mean he won't get it, he could still but probably with less severe symptoms.
    That is exactly what our doctor told us. He also mentioned that as the vaccine is so new, it is hard to tell how much protection the vaccine provides later in life and when boosters are needed as an adult. Also, if you don't get the disease as a child, it apparently is much worse for adults.

buddhafun is offline Registered User

varicella

This vaccination is now mandatory in California. And in Canada.Under a certain age, it requires a booster, but not for those who take it a little older, I think around 18 mos or so. Very simply, many kids simply don't get this disease anymore. There's misinformation out there. And while HK people don't do it, neither do the vast majority of Brits. However, MANY North Americans vaccinate for this disease if they have a child born around 2007 or later. While for most it is mild, there are always a few exceptions--also it is VERY dangerous for women who are pregnant (see a Brain, Child article 2012) and therefore a health hazard in this sense. You can transmit this disease without any visible pox showing. So your kid may be fine, but you may infect a pregnant mother. Very uncool. I know someone whose kid had a compromised immune system and ended up in intensive care in the hospital due to the pox. So benign as it may be, it's not that way for everyone...and it is a public health concern. If you do get it after the vaccination, you will get a more mild case. You are prone though to get shingles if you do get chicken pox later in life. No pox. No shingles. There are many cases of shingles which is painful and debilitating and caused by stress. People in the US now get boosters for shingles, especially seniors. I had chicken pox, but got my son vaccinated. What I entirely resented here in HK was an attitude that it was fine for everyone to get chicken pox, but that is not the case. If your child is incubating the chicken pox, pull the kid out of school BEFORE the pox start to show up (this is if a sibling has it first). You may send a child to intensive care, infect a pregnant woman etc... The reason it is not mandated everywhere around the world is that they cover the bigger diseases first (diptheria) and different health systems are burdened financially etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12