Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

High glucose levels

claresaunders is offline Registered User

High glucose levels

I just got a call from the hospital saying I have high glucose levels…I am a bit freaked out what it means.
    I've googled a lot and some of the websites indicates there is a huge risk with my condition...
    Does anyone else have the same condition as me? I dont think i am overweight and before i am pregnant i was 50kg and now i am 60kg. I did put on 5kg in the last four weeks which perhaps it's a bit too fast...

Sighhhhhhhhhh!!!

carang is offline Registered User

thousands of women in hk suffer from diabetic pregnancies. all they will do is put you on a calorie/sugar restricted diet. and monitor you closely.

i had the same with both pregnancies. (didn't follow their diet though, as i lost too much weight during my first pregnancy.)

AmyH is offline Registered User

When I was 25 weeks pregnant I got the same results and they brought me in to do a glucose tolerance test.

Here is some information on that: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...cosetolerance/

My results from that came back fine so there was no need for any further action.

carang is offline Registered User

sorry, my brain had shorted out earlier... not "diabetic pregnancies".... gestational diabetes is what i meant...

Fofinha51 is offline Registered User

Post Information/details?

Hello ladies,
    I am supposed t have this test to. I am 25 weeks pregnant and being followed at Sanatorium, but I would like to do the test at Queen Mary Hospital (cheaper and same results ). Thanks for sharing your experience.

Does someone have there contact details please? And where exactly do I need to go (QMH is pretty huge and there are too many buildings)?

Any others details are welcome.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

giginium is offline Registered User

Hi claresaunders,

Well if you had put on 5kg in the past 4 weeks it means that you have only gained the other 5 kg in the past 7 months!

Don't be too alerted. I had that rapid exponential weight gain that raised some eyebrows too. But tends to taper off I think.

And good luck with the glucose levels.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Gestational diabetes is pretty common. Just follow your doctor's advice regarding diet and lifestyle choices for the rest of your pregnancy. Once you give birth, the diabetes should go away pretty much immediately.

I had pregnancy-related liver problems and they went away after my daughter was born. Some people get pregnancy-related blood pressure problems as well. You'll be okay.

As far as the person asking about doing their test at QMH...first, you have to be registered with a public hospital in order to do the test...so make sure you have that out of the way at first. Have you gone to any appointments at QMH? Usually when you first register they give you a sheet of paper that lists all the tests and procedures to be conducted during pregnancy and at what time you should have them done.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK