Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Every Parent Should Know...

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    I think many is the right adjective, certainly not all. How to keep hands clean is left up to the individual consumer. Some take heed and many will blissfully continue to purchase in ignorance perpetuating the problem.

You make an informed choice by arming yourself with information. The historical stuff makes for some entertaining reading but we now have a lot of power at our fingertips. Search engines have made a ton of information (current and historical) accessible to our eyes.

I dont know much about baby formula today as I havent had time to research it recently but I do know one thing : Nestle as a big company has had continuous issues with many different products and the ethics behind producing those products. I personally avoid Nestle products whenever practical.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    This is a timely issue because of current things happening in the States regarding the marketing of infant formula through hospitals. This is a timely issue because formula is marketed to women in an inappropriate way in Hong Kong according to the 1981 document from the UN.

I am not "suggesting" anything for anyone. You can choose your own conclusions. I fed my son formula for a time. I breastfed my daughter. I am a big fan of doing the research to know where different companies stand (not where they say they stand but where they actually put their money and marketing into practice) on various issues. I don't assume things have improved over time. I studied far too much PR to believe that companies always just become better because they get "caught." No, companies become smarter at managing their public image and presenting a cleaned-up version of themselves. I prefer companies that were built on solid principles and haven't slipped from them.

If this issue doesn't seem to be a big one to you (or others) then that's fine. I have no one to defend here--including the people who wrote the article or the report. I always think being more aware as a citizen is a positive. Not always easy to be more aware as sometimes it pushes us into uncomfortable paradoxes. It's not easy to make choices. It's not easy to feel guilt or regret over choices made.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    I think many is the right adjective, certainly not all. How to keep hands clean is left up to the individual consumer. Some take heed and many will blissfully continue to purchase in ignorance perpetuating the problem.

You make an informed choice by arming yourself with information. The historical stuff makes for some entertaining reading but we now have a lot of power at our fingertips. Search engines have made a ton of information (current and historical) accessible to our eyes.

I dont know much about baby formula today as I havent had time to research it recently but I do know one thing : Nestle as a big company has had continuous issues with many different products and the ethics behind producing those products. I personally avoid Nestle products whenever practical.
    I agree. Especially that not all companies are "dirty" in the world marketplace. Some are downright exceptional.

We choose to not use Nestle products as well.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

charade is offline Registered User
    Hmmm I remain cynical, not just about the usual suspects but about all companies, especially the large ones, and also about the quality of informed choices we can make in this situation, especially if we base it on information like the linked articles.

Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    Hmmm I remain cynical, not just about the usual suspects but about all companies, especially the large ones, and also about the quality of informed choices we can make in this situation, especially if we base it on information like the linked articles.
    The article linked above is a starting point of reference and the documents linked are to give historical context to what was going on at the time and the effect they had. If you're interested in learning more then there begins your search. I am by no means advocating that anyone simply read one or two articles and base their informed choices upon those alone. I believe what I posted is a starting place.

It certainly won't take much internet searching to uncover more recent examples dealing with melamine and arsenic.

Mother of Two

charade is offline Registered User
    Oh my, arsenic and melamine. Unfortunately, the first thing that came up was arsenic in organic cereal bars. Heh. Off to find an uncontaminated but ethical and fuzzy wuzzy organic cereal bar now.
    Last edited by charade; 09-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12