Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elle

How much time before EDD would you move to HK

MacauMum is offline Registered User

How much time before EDD would you move to HK

I live in Macau but as a permanent HK resident, I am registered to give birth to n.2 in HK. For my last pregnancy I came 3 weeks before EDD to stay at my mum's to avoid the risk of giving birth on the ferry or some silly situation, and DD was induced at +6 days ( failed so ended up with an emergency c-section at +8 days). This time round I am much less keen to leave Macau so early as my daughter will be at home with her dad and nanny half the week, so she can carry on with her routine, playgroups, etc... and ask her dad or nanny to take her to HK the rest of the week to see me. How soon would you come to HK to play it safe? Keeping in mind that door to door from my home in Macau to QMH takes about 2 hours if all goes smoothly.

carang is offline Registered User
    i would just stay in macau and at the first signs of labour head to hk....but, i've never experienced labour (not been allowed to in either of my pregnancies.... too many complications).

I would be tempted to but it's toi risky: if the contractions started at night the ferrys aren't as frequent, and last Sunday I hoped to get on the 8pm ferry but they were all full until 1am!

carang is offline Registered User
    hmmm.... maybe a week then?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    A week would sound responsible...n 2 is always faster than the first so don't risk. It, especially if you have somewhere to stay.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MacauMum View Post
    I would be tempted to but it's toi risky: if the contractions started at night the ferrys aren't as frequent, and last Sunday I hoped to get on the 8pm ferry but they were all full until 1am!
    If ferrys are all full, they will make room for someone with a medical condition. My friend went into labour in Macau and was able to get on the next ferry, which was fully booked. As your pregnancy progresses, your doctor should be able to help you decide when to move over to HK based on various signs of impending labour. While not totally accurate, they can certainly let you know when it is close to time.
    carang likes this.

Thanks for the advice Ladies, Elle, I think it might also depend on whom you're dealing with, my friend took the ferry in labour but they didn't even let her get on or off the ferry first, she had to wait in line like everyone else, though she was on all fours and panting throughout the whole journey, pretty unbelievable but true!