Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carang

Need advice - son plays with his thing

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Need advice - son plays with his thing

Since my son (3+) was 2 he liked grabbing his genital for a reason unknown to me. I tried to ask him many times for the reasons (want to pee, itchy, hurt) he couldn't tell me why but giggled/ignored me and then continued to touch/grab it too many times a day and I think it now becomes a habit.

Only very recently did I find him develope a likeness to play with it - he will pull it out and play with it. The first thing I worried is the hygiene issue but now I get to worry about it becoming a habit, which might be annoying to the teachers at his kindergarten. Last night when I tucked him in I asked him what does he want to play after school, he replied, "I like to play my willy," then he took it out and rubbed it. I told him many times NOT to do it for hygiene reason but he didn't listen. The more I stop him the more he does it. I don't know what kind of approach I should use to handle this issue: Should I be very strict and shout at him? I remember i once read a book advising that parents should not punish their sons for playing with his genital lest giving the kids an impression that the genital is a something shameful?!?!? Is it right or wrong? And, should i be worried at all?! Anyone has similar experience with a boy? Thank you.

Last edited by OX Jess; 09-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.

carang is offline Registered User

it's perfectly normal. it feels good, so they do it.

when my boy went through this, i was able to get out of him that it would "stick" to him in the summer when it was hot, so we put a bottle of baby powder in the car and would powder him up before we went out... it worked most of the time.

why would you shout at him for doing it? he's discovering his body in a very common and normal way. it isn't a sexual thing he's doing... he's just figuring out how it all fits together...

i just told my boy that it is something he can do at home but not in public. he's now 7.5 and outgrew it by the age of 4.

carolinelllhk likes this.

OX Jess is offline Registered User

Thanks Cara for your advice.

Like what you've advised, I shall start telling him it is an act allowed only at home, not in the public. I had not thought of this approach before.

Nope, I never shouted at him because of this but as it seems that my gentle reminders have no effect on him, I was wondering if I should be 'strict' on this or not.