Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Will my baby get a HK passport?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    That is tricky. I am ethnically Chinese, though born in Canada (thus hold a Canadian passport) and hold a hKID and have lived here for nearly 30yrs...whole family is Chinese and live here...I am NOT eligible for hK passport unless I give up my Canadian one. My kids all have canadian and HK passports because my husband is Chinese and born in hong kong.
    From what I understand, if you have your HK "nationality" first, you can hold both passports, but if you want to "reclaim" it, you have to renounce your 2nd nationality. For example, if my husband had never renounced his Chinese nationality, he could hold both HK and Australian passport with no problems, since Australia allows dual nationality. However, since he renounced his Chinese nationality, to reclaim it he'd have to renounce his Australian nationality (which he doesn't want to do). Children who are born here don't face those issues since their first nationality is Chinese, so there is no conflict. It's only an issue for people born elsewhere (or those who have renounced and wish to reclaim citizenship).

Oh and LuckyCrane - to make the process easier, try to find some documentation that lists your ethnicity on it, and bring that along to the birth cert registration. Also before you accept it, make sure that the birth cert says "established" down the bottom.

Also, the process is smoother if you look Chinese and talk to them in Chinese - sometimes they don't even bother asking for "proof" of ethnicity in that situation. That happened when my husband applied for my eldest daughter's birth cert - he didn't bring any proof and wasn't hoping for her to have right of abode, but since he was obviously Chinese, he was told that we didn't have a choice, they HAVE to have right of abode. When I went to get my 2nd daughter's birth cert, I'm white and talked to them in English and I had to really fight them to get her right of abode since I didn't have the proper documentation (with exactly the same documents that we brought first time around). They eventually gave her right of abode, based on my 1st daughter's birth cert.

meimeid is offline Registered User

As Nicole mentioned, you or your husband need to bring proof that you are of Chinese descent when you go register your babies birth. In our case it was my mom's HKID of 40 years ago on which it states she is Chinese. It can be anything. If you bring something from one of your parents, also bring proof of your relationship with your parents (eg your birth certificate). They won't give your bb HK permanent residency based on looking Chinese and speaking Chinese.

They gave my daughter permanent residency based on my hubby "looking" and speaking Chinese, being born in HK and having a Chinese name - no "proof" other than that, and my hubby has renounced his Chinese nationality so does not have a 3 star permanent ID card. Nothing "said" he was Chinese. I do think it's best to bring proof, but they don't always want it. It probably depends on who you get on the day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12