Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Kindergarten / Nursery with 3 Years?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I want my daughter to go to nursery school. Not because I really feel like she needs to start formal education at 2-years-old but I think she really needs the social interaction with children her age. My son went to nursery school at 2-years-old too and it was perfect for him. However, the only nursery school in our area has limited spots. I knew this because I had applied when my son was 1-year-old and was put on a waiting list and never contacted again. So, when my daughter was about 2-months-old we applied for her and guess what? Still there was a waiting list! Only 20 other children ahead of her, though so it might be possible for her to get in. Who knows?

The reality is that this is Hong Kong and if you want your child to be able to go into the local school system best start with kindergarten. I teach in a primary school and I can tell a HUGE difference between the children who have and have not attended kindergarten. There are some very basic skills children learn during their kindergarten days that give them a solid foundation for primary school. My son is almost 5-years-old and in his third year of local kindergarten here. He is writing pages full of Chinese characters and learning to read in English. If he had not attended kindergarten starting when he was 3-years-old, he would be so far behind when starting primary school that he would really be grasping.

I'm not sure about the EMI (English Medium of Instruction) kindergartens in Hong Kong as they tend to feed into the International Schools which have their very own way of doing things. Places in International Schools are limited so if you want your child to have the best shot of getting into one I say the sooner you start preparing him/her, the better.
    Gataloca and carang like this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I plan to send my toddler to playgroup at Tutor Time just cause it's conveniently located down the street from us and that I've heard wonderful things about the Tutor Time in Redhill in particular. They offer kindy as well, but it's US$20k per year for 5 days a week! That's another thing to consider...I'll probably switch my daughter to local kindy once she's 3 because personally (and I know some will disagree) I don't think spending that much money on a 3yr old makes sense.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Tutor time fees for kindy is about 8k per month so more like 14k a year. I'm not saying it's not expensive but it's prob comparable if not less than in US.
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Tutor time fees for kindy is about 8k per month so more like 14k a year. I'm not saying it's not expensive but it's prob comparable if not less than in US.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Still...8K/month seems really crazy to me for kindergarten. I know it's probably "the going rate" but I looked at my son's tuition for his kindergarten and combined with bus transportation we pay $1200 HKD/month. I can't imagine paying 8K! Wow!
    carang likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    gotcha beat... we pay $600/month for my girl's kindergarten. she attends whole-day (8am--after we drop brother off at primary school until 4pm). if she were going 1/2 day, it would be free.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Sorry I stand corrected. Still USD14K is very expensive to pay for nursery kindy....but is definitely more manageable than 20K per year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12