Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Kindergarten / Nursery with 3 Years?

MammaKatia is offline Registered User

Kindergarten / Nursery with 3 Years?

Hi mummies

I need your opinion, recommendation or experience.
    I've a 15 month old baby and I was told that I should slowly start to look for a kindergarden as waiting lists are pretty long. I actually don't feel really comfortable with the idea of bringing my daughter to kindergarden already with 3 years. However, I want to give her the best opportunities of education.

1. what is your opinion about this?
    2. which English speaking kindergarden would you recommend?

Thanks in advanced for all your comments.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    When I arrived here I tried my best to resist the pressure of bringing my then 3 year old to a kindy when all I really wanted was for my daughter to play & enjoy her childhood by attending a daycare just like she did back in Australia. But the truth is, we are in HK now & the prevailing culture here is that you enrol them in a kindy. Now if you're the type who doesn't want an academically steeped kindy, you will probably have to look into Montessori, Waldorf or something similar.

FWIW, I am thinking of applying my 15 month old baby to playgroup that will take her all the way to kindy. The only criteria I have is English speaking & close to my eldest daughter's primary school where hopefully my baby can join in a few years

Good luck!

elle is offline Registered User
    Tutor Time and Woodlands are both popular nursery/ preschools in English. Tutor Time is bilingual with Mandarin and Woodlands also has Mandarin options. Woodlands has some montessori classes as well. Wait lists vary, depending on the campus location and how busy each is in any year, so you might want to talk to them about when you should consider signing up to ensure a spot. At Tutor Time they take children unaccompanied from 24 months and I think it is 28 months for Woodlands. Classes are typically around 3 hours. There are also parent/ carer accompanied classes/ playgroups for younger children that are shorter and you can attend just a couple days a week.

Our child is at Tutor Time for now and have been pretty happy with the quality of the facility (big, clean, nice colors for children) and the teachers. Class sizes are small and we get emails from the teacher letting us know what our daughter is class. The emails are detailed enough to explain what she is doing well at and anything she is having a hard time with. Teachers are also available to chat to parents regularly.

carang is offline Registered User
    what is the difference between sending a kid to day care or to nursery in a kindergarten? i mean, other than the educational aspect?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    The difference is indeed the educational aspect & in a culture where there is academic pressure at an early age, it makes a huge difference all the more.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    My son is in tutor time and I honestly believe they are really learning through playing. Other than circle times, the kids are free to wonder around the classroom, do activities on tables, read books, play with other kids or just do nothing. No pressure.
    At local kindy, kids tend to need to sit at the table most of the time listening to teacher, doing specific tasks, and have homework.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Gataloca likes this.

personally, i have no problem with my kids learning to count and the abc's/colours/shapes at school. it's not like they are under huge pressure in kindergarten...**i say this even though my kids went to a local cantonese kindergarten.

my daughter's day at school:
    story time, circle time, english time, play outside in the playground, a little writing.... she's 5.5. she isn't given anything she can't handle. it's not like they give them long division or anything.

oh, and both of my kids have loved, loved, loved going to a local kindergarten.
    Gataloca likes this.

but, that is a personal opinion... not suitable for every family/child/mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast