Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Where to get red-eared turtles?

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User

Where to get red-eared turtles?

My toddler wants to take care of a few red-eared turtles at home. Is the Mong Kok pet market the only place I can go to find turtles? Is there any place I can go on the Hong Kong side? Thanks in advance!

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    You can buy then on Spring Garden Lane in Wan Chai. Do you realize that the adult turtles can grow to the size of dinner plates?
    Gataloca likes this.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Red eared turtles are the cheapest and most commonly sold turtles in Hong Kong. But they do grow very big. Have you considered some more expensive but smaller turtles for your kid?

Thanks, Sarah. I do realize that and am actually debating on getting turtles vs. fish.... Can I get small goldfish on Spring Garden Lane as well?

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    Yes, they sell goldfish too but again goldfish can get quite big and need a lot of cleaning out.
    One fish you might like to consider are fancy tailed guppies. They are small, stay small, easy to look after with a pump (also available in Spring Garden Lane) and in my opinion very pretty.

Another option would be getting a betta fish. They are quite pretty as well, and you can keep ONE in a small fish tank or bowl without any special setting.

Thanks for the info!

Gataloca - Any smaller turtles you would recommend?

Probably Reeves turtles or Chinese Golden Thread Turtles would be good options.. they are not expensive and don't grow up "as big as" red-eared ones.

You will have to go to MK golden fish street to get them.. You might see many other type of turtles there as well, but remember to google well before you take them home. They might look cute and small in their setting, but might grow up really big and be aggressive as well. Many need special setting to grow healthy (e.g. UV lamps, big tank, filter, etc...).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast