Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Maid Extra Time Rates

Fionaaust is offline Registered User

Maid Extra Time Rates

Hi - we have a live in helper on her fixed salary.

If she was to do some extra hours - (as we are new to HK) what is the going rate for extra/overtime rates. Is it 50 - 70? Which is I understand the Part time rates. Any info appreciated to ensure I am paying the going rate.

Thanks

elle is offline Registered User
    We pay 100, but a realistic guess for the going P/T rate where we live (Stanley) is 70ish, sometimes a little more. It is little lower in some other parts of town.

rani is offline Administrator
    I think most people will give the helper extra time off or pay a day rate ($150-300) f she works on a holiday. Have never heard of anyone paying hourly.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    It depends on what her hours are like usually. If she works reasonable hours i.e. 8-6pm regularly and you need her to do the occasional baby sitting when the kids are asleep (i.e. she is in the home anyway) then I wouldn't pay her as it requires no extra or very little extra work. If however you are having a dinner party and she needs to cook , clean and won't finish until late I always think it is nice to give them a little bonus, I tend to give each helper $100 (I wouldn't pay her by the hour as per P/T rates), if she gets $100 for an evening then that equivalent to roughly her daily rate as a FDH.
    carang likes this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i take the total pay and divide it by the number of days she works per month...think it comes out to be around $150 / day. if it's pay for "bonus" then $100...but sometimes i need her to work on Statutory holidays (which I know is illegal - BUT she's agreed) then I pay her in lieu of her holiday $150.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Have never heard of anyone paying hourly.
    we do :) - for any hours worked outside her fixed schedule (and got the idea from a friend who did so b/c was uncomfortable with the amount of control employers seem to have over their helper's lives in HK - paying an hourly wage makes us really think about whether we need to cut into her personal time, and compensates her more closely linked to the extra time she spends working, similar to OT pay for my secretary for example).
    Last edited by elle; 09-28-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    2010-NewDad likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    we've never had a fixed schedule. we have work that needs to be done and it gets done. we don't pay extra for it.

we do, however, do other things:
    -buy them their favourite food (char siu) once in a while
    -invite their family (one helper has 3 sisters working in hk) over for dinner or to spend the night if there are lots of holidays
    -give them a few hundred to buy pizza for lunch for their friends on sundays
    -if they are having a bbq with friends on their day off, buy them a cake to take along
    -give them a bonus/surprise trip home for a week
    -allow her boyfriend/son/other family member to come for a visit and stay with us
    -if they go over and above what is normally required, then i might offer a small bonus

i would not go the hourly way because circumstances may change. ie) i'm taking my daughter to bkk for 11 days, and my hubby may require more help with our son while i'm gone. i don't necessarily think i should have to pay extra for that.
    elle, lesliefu and mummymoo like this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    Have never heard of anyone paying hourly.
    We also pay hourly at times.
    Our helper does 2 types of extra work:
    a) sometimes works on holidays or sundays and we give her extra days off later. She really likes this as she builds up a nice long holiday for herself when she goes back to visit family.
    b) we have asked her to do some illegal work from time to time (cleaning office, cleaning friends houses etc). In those cases we pay her hourly $60/h - she is not obligated to do this but she wants to. If she chooses not to, there are many others willing to do such work for $50-$55/h

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast