Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

How many of you have a fantastic helper?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    We've had our ups and downs with our helpers. The first one had a great personality, was cheerful and loved playing with my son (she was with us from his birth) but was rather rough and careless at times (once she was peeling a carrot and somehow managed to fling the peeler out the kitchen window!).

Anyway she left us to go to Canada after one year and her replacement (my first helper's cousin) was a complete disaster! Never worked as a helper or abroad before and managed to give my son a deep cut (needing stitches) and locked herself out of the house (with my 1-1/2 yr old still in it alone!) while throwing out the garbage- all in the same week too!

Third helper was great, really efficient and quick on the uptake. We were really happy with her but had to let her go after she accumulated over $100K of debt and her collectors started harassing us.

Now we are on our 4th helper - it's only been a week but so far things seem to be good. She's quiet but seems cheerful. Very good at cleaning and cooking, and needing very little instruction. (I actually signed her over from another geoexpatter who relocated to Singapore.) My only concern is she seems soft and I'm worried she'll let my 4 yo (who has a v strong personality) walk all over her!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Cara, Thanka and Deduja - Sorry if was unclear.
    I meant that people who mistreated their helpers -- and who then turned around and complained about "bad" behavior -- should look at themselves first, to see if they are causing extreme fatigue, hunger or distress.
    I didn't mean that every bad helper was the result of bad treatment.
    I'm sure there are many great employers who simply suffered from bad luck.
    So far, we've been lucky, though. We've only ever had one helper, and she's great.
    carang likes this.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I meant that people who mistreated their helpers -- and who then turned around and complained about "bad" behavior -- should look at themselves first, to see if they are causing extreme fatigue, hunger or distress.

The weird thing about this is that I have never had anyone put their hand up and say they were a bad employer!!!! I've seen some horrendous jobs out there for helpers and shudder at the thought of working for these people BUT the people themselves actually think they are good employers - either they are trying to save face or they are really in some severe denial (methinks the latter).

I agree with Carang and Thanka2, some people were not cut out to be helpers, and some people are plain dishonest (all lines of work). When you come across these helpers, life is terrible no matter how great an employer you are.

On the other hand, you generally have to be a good employer to keep really talented staff in your employ.
    joooles and carang like this.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I have a great helper who is a direct hire from the Philippines. She can cook Chinese food quite decently, follows instructions well and is proactive. Plus my daughter loves her. The only drawback is that her spoken English is not so great, but I can totally deal with that. She's been with us for one year and was referred by my other helper of 28 years! I hired her thru a phone interview.

deduja is offline Registered User
    I thought fantastic ones don't exist. But it seems like I found one. It's been only few days. But she makes such a big difference. When you hire someone see how long she worked for previous employers and what the employers say about her. Mine worked for 10 years for one family and the family loved her. We are now so happy, my family and my helper.
    I learnt a lesson from my previous helper. If you are not sure about your DH and she creates negative energy at your home you'd better to look for a new one. It is worth it.
    rani likes this.

rani is offline Administrator
    We had a fantastic one. She was with us for 5 yrs. She set the bar really high. Last 2 didn't work out. Fast forward 3 yrs later, we are happy again with another fantastic helper. :)
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123