Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Failed Pavlik harness, further treatment

recurring is offline Registered User

Failed Pavlik harness, further treatment

I wonder if any of geomom experience this with baby with ddh or clicky hip. What kind of treatment do you have when the harness is not helping anymore? My lo has been on the harness for almost 17 weeks now but the latest ultrasound shows her hip is still not developing properly.
    Last edited by recurring; 09-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My daughter has a form of dwarfism which also causes hip issues and was in the Pavlik harness for a few months at birth. Since that time, we have continued to follow up with the orthopedic doctor at Duchess of Kent hospital. She had one MRI on her hips at about 6 months old and will have another one next month (at nearly 28 month old). Worst case scenario for her situation is a hip containment surgery which sounds a bit yucky - but hopefully it won't come to that. The heads of her femurs are not well formed and her hip socket is very shallow, making dislocation a bit more likely. So far though she's been good and even with that, she's walking and developing really well... other kids need to have a spica cast but that's not an option in my daughter's case as immobilising the joints is not recommended... I'd take a spica cast over surgery though, far less invasive...

recurring is offline Registered User
    Hi Nicolejoy, thanks for your reply. We found out that she needs to be off the harness because she's too big for it. Her hip looks "normal" but still needs to undergo xray examination early next year to see if she needs open or close reduction (Sounds horrible) and she'll be in spica cast after the procedure. So, right now there's nothing we can do but wait and see. While waiting, I encourage her to be on her tummy, learn to roll over and sit up because she didn't have the chance to do these. I hope she can catch up:-)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    They do catch up very well from things like this - kids are SO SO adaptable, particularly when they're young... All the best!!