Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Where to live with kids, commutable to Quarry Bay?

christinga is offline Registered User

Where to live with kids, commutable to Quarry Bay?

Hello there, hope to get some help.
    We are considering moving to Hong Kong with our 2 young children. My husband would work in Quarry Bay, and as we don't want to own a car, we are looking for a suitable place to live with kids that is no more than 30 mins commute by either tram, train or ferry for my husband (he doesn't like the bus). The company has debentures at many schools, they claim, so let's say that's not an issue for now. I am not a city girl at all, so this idea scares me quite a bit, as I realise it will be busy and noisy and cramped, but I do want to experience this if we can, so will try to toughen up. Any suggestions on where we should look at to live?

elle is offline Registered User
    Very hard to narrow down areas without an approximate budget. Anywhere along the MTR island line would meet your commute time requirements. I have friends in Tai Koo that like the area a lot, but it is quite urban. Parts of Causeway Bay, areound Leighton Hill, might also suit. If your husband can get used to the idea of a bus, Red Hill is about 30 minutes away and much lower density, beach access and lots of greenery but still on HK island. Happy Valley may be another area on the island to look at. Am sure other members have some good ideas off HK island with MTR stops nearby.
    carang likes this.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    If you aren't a city girl I'd try Clearwater Bay in the New Territories; it's much more like 'countryside'. Very green, more space, maybe a garden (depending on budget), village houses rather than apartments/high rises, nearby beaches. A short minibus ride will take you to Hang Hau MTR and it's only a few stops on the MTR direct to Quarry Bay (15 mins.).

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    International schooling is a major issue right now so I would first get way more specific about schools, see what you like, what suits your children and where you actually get a space and then sort out housing. Also budget is a big factor. We're in Tai Tam which is within 30 min from Quarry Bay. Braemar Hill has options, auite urban. Happy Valley, Tai Hang, Jardine's Lookout meets distance but again, would get more specific about schools first. Taking a look before moving is highly recommended. Can always live in serviced apartment for a while and get a better feel on where to live.
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Depends what you want in a house really, and what your budget is. We're in North Point just one stop away and like it here. We also like Taikoo in the other direction (but slightly more expensive). Another place we've considered is Tseung Kwan O - it's still only a couple of stops on the MTR but far cheaper since it is across the harbour. If budget is not an issue, there are heaps of nice places on the island, or you could even get a nice village house in clearwater bay.

Sapphire40 is offline Registered User
    I live in Pokfulam (bel-Air) and work in quarry bay/taikoo. There is a minibus that goes straight to Taikoo Shing from Cyberport which directly passes all phases of Bel -Air. Can take 25-45 mins depending on what time you leave. Between 8am and 9am in HK is a nightmare to get anywhere. Schools wise there is Kennedy school, west island school, a couple of woodlands and Kellet within walking distance. Lot of kids round here, there is a large park (for HK), play areas and a lot less traffic. Cyberport itself has a cinema, wise kids restaurants, some shops and an international supermarket. Also in the area are places like Baguio Villas which might be slightly cheaper. Taxis to or from QB are about $110. At bel - air there is shuttle bus (air con coach) which drops off by Sheung Wan MTR for the MTR to QB.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Sapphire: what is that minibus? I often go to Pokfulam side and always find it very frustrating and long - or very expensive - to go over there, so I avoid it as much as possible. I'm near North Point MTR station though, and have to go semi-frequently to QMH and Duchess of Kent hospital... such a pain.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    From North Point to Cyberport:
    if its not during rush hour then take 69 from here:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=22.29004...106.68,,1,2.35

if its rush hour, take MTR to CausewayBay and then 69X from here:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=22.28064...07.92,,0,17.27

to go to QMH, MTR to CausewayBay and then take #10 from the same spot as 69X (there is no spot, but it passes by there)
    or
    take #28 minibus from here:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=22.27759...1,4.01,,0,6.77
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 10-04-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast