Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Peace of mind for health emergencies

in macau is offline Registered User

Peace of mind for health emergencies

Hubby and I are planning an overnight trip away from our toddler and we're leaving her with our trusted helper. We'll be an hour away by ferry, probably 2-3 hours door-to-door.
    I might be paranoid, but if there's a medical emergency and I need someone to take her to hospital, should I provide some form of written authorisation?
    I have two bestfriends/neighbours that I could leave this with so the burden's not on my helper.
    Any advice?

carang is offline Registered User
    paranoid? maybe a little... but if the thought has crossed your mind, then perhaps, ask one of your friends if they would mind the responsibility of taking her to the hospital. i don't think you should go so far as to get a letter notarised (i don't think a hospital would take anything less than that at the very least) for a one night trip.

as you said, you will only be a couple of hours away, so it's not like you are in another timezone for weeks on end. you would be able to get back in an emergency.

and honestly, if it was an emergency, you might be able to find a faster route back. if you are coming to hk from macau, then you could feasibly get the helicopter, which only takes 15 minutes. it will cost you more than a ferry ticket, but you'll be there 4X faster.

carang is offline Registered User
    i forgot to say: it really only matters if you think it is important enough to do for one night away. some will think it necessary for peace of mind, others not.

i would be ok going without it if it was just for a night or two and i was only in macau or SZ. if i were to go to thailand for the weekend with hubby, maybe i would consider it more.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Yes, you should leave written authorisation with your friends. Our health visitor advised us to do exactly this as otherwise the hospital might otherwise refuse to follow your friend's instructions on treatment, especially where something is elective, eg calling a plastic surgeon to stitch a wound, instead of the emergency room doctor doing the stitching. Probably not so critical if you are only going to Macau, but still you may not want your child sitting around waiting for you to get back.