Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water safe to drink in HK?

Jayne11 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Water safe to drink in HK?

Just moved to HK & wondered if boiled tap water safe to give to my 11mth old daughter?!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    the tap water is safe, it's the pipes that are often not safe. most people seem to boil the water first before drinking it or to filter it.

we boil before drinking with it, but use it straight from the tap for cooking/brushing teeth.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Tai Tam
    We filter and boil our tap water at home. I find the taste between filtered and unfiltered to make a big difference, but it might just be our pipes.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    We use Brita filters and do not boil. Taps are perfectly fine.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    The water is basically as safe as the water you drink in other developed countries, but the buildings may have old pipes that might alter things. Buildings before 1995 were often built without galvanized pipes which led to rust developing in the pipes.

The HK government has a Quality Building Water program where buildings can be certified for clean water. You might want to check here too (though I think the program is voluntary not mandatory for building owners)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, I think HK water is pretty safe--but it all depends on where you live. We live in an 800-year-old village and the pipes and general plumbing situation are less-than-ideal. We don't drink the tap water. I get stomach problems from drinking it but my husband can drink it without problems (he's from HK and I'm not). Also, the flavor of HK water, to me, tastes like soil. Most of HK's water comes from Guangdong Province and after living in ML China for awhile over the years, I'm not that confident in water that comes from there even though the water may be treated once it arrives in HK. However, having said that, most HK people still boil their water before they drink it--that's why most have a countertop water boiler. But, local people do drink the water with no problems--especially if its boiled. My main issue with water anywhere is chlorine and fluoride so we don't drink tap water at all. Right now we're drinking re-mineralized distilled water and are trying to decide whether to install reverse osmosis as a water filtration system or just go to full distilling.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

kacoak is offline Registered User
    Mid-levels Central
    We use filter, and not boil. I find that the water tastes better filtered, but boiling makes it tastes worse.

Vrindavan is offline Registered User
    i always drink filtered water, it is much better than tap water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast