Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Long haul travel during pregnacy

sconga is offline Registered User

Long haul travel during pregnacy

Hi there,

I am 11 weeks pregnant. I had a miscarriage around this same time a few months ago and as you can imagine I'm very anxious and concerned hoping that this time everything will go well.

I have a long haul flight (very long indeed) scheduled for week 14th of my pregnancy. I really want to go for a number of reasons. I feel very well and the doctor said it should be OK to travel then...however, I do get really worried sometimes that I might be doing something risky.

Have any of you done long haul flights in your second trimester? What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help!

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I flew repeatedly when I was pregnant, 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimester and never had a problem, but then again I don't have any health issues like blood that tends to clot too easily/ recurrent miscarriages. If yoor doctor has okayed it then it should be fine, don't stress and enjoy it.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Sconga, I flew in my first and third trimester in my last pregnancy. Short haul for the latter, but long haul for the former - Hong Kong to London to Rome to Hong Kong, 10 to 13 weeks pregnant and all fine. I wouldn't worry about your plans. I'm also going home for Christmas during my current pregnancy, that will be long haul at 18 through 20 weeks.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    I flew longish haul (8 hours) at 17 weeks with my son, no problems.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    With my first pregnancy I regularly flew longish haul (8 hours) and a couple of v long haul (24 hrs) in the first and second trimester. I had previously had 2 miscarriages and I also have a history of DVT, so have heparin injections and wear compression stockings etc when I fly. My daughter is now a very healthy 5 year old. My doctors felt it was fine and it was.

I also flew 24hrs long haul in the first trimester with my second baby, after another 2 miscarriages. And again all was fine. If you have no issues at all and everything is good, I'm sure you'll be OK. Just remember to move around as much as you can and drink lots of water to minimise dehydration - immobility and dehydration are likely to have the most impact when flying and can easily be avoided. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Dehydration would be a big concern. I would be sure to drink quite a bit, despite the increase number of times you'll be walking down to the restroom.

US sports athletes (who fly cross-country regularly and then have to take part in a sporting event the next day) are advised to drink 12 fluid ounces for every hour in the air (size-wise that's about a can of soda per hour). See if you can bring aboard some extra water for your flight or get a few bottles from the flight attendants during down time on the trip.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I flew 14 hours to and from Chicago (and also stopped in LA) during my 2nd trimester. The 2nd trimester is the most comfortable time to travel. Hopefully you'll be over any icky symptoms of the first trimester (I flew to Paris in my 1st and it wasn't as fun as it could've been). Like pp mentioned, stay hydrated and try not to do any heavy lifting on your own. You will be fine:)

sconga is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all this reassuring messages! I do feel a lot more relaxed. I'll make sure I drink loads of water! :)