Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Early pregnancy advice please

carang is offline Registered User
    oh, SS i'm so very sorry!

satay sue is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Is it possible to discharge (are you admitted?) and to go to a private obgyn? They may have better scanning equipment and can give you a definite answer sooner... I would try to get an emergency appointment at Dr Lam at the HK prenatal diagnostic clinic as you need someone with top notch equipment, but he should definitely be able to tell more than the public hospital via ultrasound...

All the best...
    Thanks Nicole, I thought that earlier BUT as I am so early (5+5 max) I don't think anyone would see anything better. in fact when I talked to a private doctor's receptionist yesterday (before bleeding worsened) she said that it was way too early for an ultrasound. I've also got similar feedback from a UK baby forum. As to the ectopic thing - the doctor said even if it wasn't that it was still a suspicious mass which could cause a rupture. The radiologist called a colleague for a second opinion.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Satay Sue, I am really sorry to hear about what you're going through. I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy in Hong Kong and it should be treated as an emergency situation because if it is ectopic you may need emergency surgery. It shouldn't be something that you have to wait days to have checked into. In fact, I went to the A&E ward at a local hospital because I was having heavy bleeding when I was pregnant and because they couldn't locate the baby they actually ordered an ambulance to transfer me to a bigger hospital and I was put at the front of the line for treatment. So, it seems strange to me that they're making you wait and then do blood tests that will take three days? I had my blood tested several times almost immediately. Be very careful with this.

We're all here for you and I'll pray for you as you go through this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Satay Sue, I am really sorry to hear about what you're going through. I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy in Hong Kong and it should be treated as an emergency situation because if it is ectopic you may need emergency surgery. It shouldn't be something that you have to wait days to have checked into. In fact, I went to the A&E ward at a local hospital because I was having heavy bleeding when I was pregnant and because they couldn't locate the baby they actually ordered an ambulance to transfer me to a bigger hospital and I was put at the front of the line for treatment. So, it seems strange to me that they're making you wait and then do blood tests that will take three days? I had my blood tested several times almost immediately. Be very careful with this.

We're all here for you and I'll pray for you as you go through this.
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry you went through all that. Were you in pain? I haven't had any pain or cramps (it has felt taut in the area, like before a period) which is making me sceptical. The bleeding is now like a period though.

The 3 days is to compare hcg levels, apparently they want to see the trend. They were supposed to call me this afternoon but no word yet.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Satay Sue, whenever I've got pregnant (only twice) I have always had first ultrasound at 6 weeks (pregnancy through IVF but won't make a difference regarding what you can see). An internal ultrasound can pick some things up. I also started bleeding quite heavily at 7 weeks and the doctor could see the source of the blood on the ultrasound and determine what it was. Just mentioning it as I don't think all doctors would necessarily agree its "way too early".

Sorry anyway. Hope you can get some resolution on it soon at least.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I also had first appointments at 6 weeks and you can see the egg sac, sometimes even the heartbeat - but definitely enough to tell if the baby is implanted in the uterus at least. Although I know from experience that the ultrasounds used at the hospitals are far inferior to the top of the line models used by private prenatal diagnosticians (which are also better than regular obgyns). I have had one miscarriage around 5-6 weeks and didn't cramp too badly as it's still so small at that stage. A miscarriage at that stage is not an emergency, and an ectopic pregnancy is usually painful, in my understanding.

My thoughts are with you...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by satay sue View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry you went through all that. Were you in pain? I haven't had any pain or cramps (it has felt taut in the area, like before a period) which is making me sceptical. The bleeding is now like a period though.
    I wasn't really in pain actually but they did treat it as an emergency and the internal ultrasound they used was just as high-tech as the one my private OBGYN had used so it wasn't like it was an old or inferior piece of equipment--they just couldn't find the baby and I was about 8 weeks pregnant. Had at least 3 ultrasounds--two at A&E and one at the bigger hospital.

Even as early as 6 weeks they can see a hearbeat (looks like a flashing light on the screen) so with an internal ultrasound they should be able to find the baby if the baby is still there.

I had heavy bleeding at first but not anything dangerous--then after the miscarriage I bled for about 12 days. Thankfully, I didn't have an ectopic pregnancy. But, in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, I called my friend who had indeed had an ectopic pregnancy in HK and nearly lost her life--had to have emergency surgery and no one at the hospital in Shatin would believe her that something was wrong--she lost one ovary out of the deal (but then went on to have another healthy child afterward)...I was asking her what I should do and she gave me the number of her surgeon and I called and talked to him and he kind of walked me through what I needed to do if it turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy--as in that case I would have opted to go to a private surgeon.

I also had to have my HCG levels monitored over the course of a week but that was after I was hospitalized--I spent about two days in the hospital for monitoring. They just didn't mess around in my case.

I think I know the moment when I true, and fully lost the pregnancy--it was during my third ultrasound. That was an awful experience--I think the baby wasn't viable at that point but that's when that "tautness" you described started to go away.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast