Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

need Thirteen-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine? IF had PCV 7 ?

lennox is offline Registered User

need Thirteen-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine? IF had PCV 7 ?

can someone kindly inform me of the importance of having the PCV 13 immunisation (Thirteen-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine) if my three year old has had the PCV 7 administered free about a year and a half ago at the Government health clinic. Is it true we can no longer go back to the Government health clinic to get this PCV13 immunisation "free"? So have to go to get this done privately?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

When my now 2 yr old was a baby, we were advised by the public doctors in NICU that she could have the PCV13 injections rather than the PCV7 for health reasons. We were also told that we MUST go private to do so as the public system only stocks the PCV7. We had the first one while she was still in NICU, and when we followed up in the government clinic, they confirmed that they couldn't do any follow up shots. I don't know if anything has changed but each shot had to be private back then.

lennox is offline Registered User

thanks nicolejoy
    is it not true that the PCV 13 is now provided by the govt health clinics? is it really critical to have it if my baby has had the PCV 7? if it improves the odds of ~1% of not catching an infection, then we will consider. has anyone else's child only had the PCV 7 and are healthy children now?

taysty is offline Registered User

I've just had a baby recently. When calling private clinic regarding PCV13, the nurse told me to go MCHC to get it. In fact when bringing baby for first visit at MCHC, the nurse confirm with me they are using PCV13 now.

You can check with your closest MCHC.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

taysty is offline Registered User

Sorry, misunderstood your question. Please ignore my reply.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I'm not sure of the current situation, but 2 years ago, they only offered the 7 valent immunisation and not the 13. They didn't stock the 13 valent immunisation at all. Not sure about what they have now.

Personally I don't think it's a HUGE issue - my first born only had the PCV7 and she is very healthy. I haven't worried about getting her immunisation "topped up" as I think the PCV7 is sufficient for her. If I had another child, I would probably get the PCV13 though.