Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone bought Vegemite lately?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Anyone bought Vegemite lately?

I'm running low on Vegemite & rationing it very carefully since I've gone to three "western" stores in the Kowloon east area & there seems to be no more Vegemite on the shelves. Anyone who has bought a jar in central lately? Just don't want to waste a trip all the way there to find it's out of stock. And sorry, marmite just won't do :-) thanks

mummymoo is offline Registered User

I'll take a look in Great when I go there this week for you. I think it should have it as it seems to have great Aussie staples including good old copha (although it costs a small fortune!!!!)

pipinhk is offline Registered User

Vegemite is available in Park N Shop, Taste, Great...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

HK goes through "Vegemite shortages" every now and then. I haven't seen vegemite here for a few weeks at least and mine ran out this morning. I bought some marmite for the first time ever since I know it might be a while before it's back ;) It will be back though. Not sure why we get these shortages but it does seem to happen once every couple of years...

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Thanks mummymoo. Oh, I just thought of white Christmas with that copha!

I have just read in another forum about a shortage sometime a few years back and Aussies writing to Kraft. There's even an article on SCMP. Looks like every once in a while, people get on the forums to scramble for the last few jars.

I've been to 1 Taste, 1 Park n Shop & 2 Fusion stores this past week but no Vegemite, just marmite. I've been doing without for days just so my daughter can be a "happy little Vegemite"

Here is the article on SCMP 5 years ago.
    Strewth, where has all the Vegemite gone?
    Barclay Crawford
    Apr 06, 2008

Soaring rice prices may be worrying many in Hong Kong, but 60,000 Antipodeans are far more worried about the disappearance from shop shelves of another staple food - Vegemite.

Supplies of the black spread, which is usually eaten spread on buttered toast, dried up a month ago - and for true aficionados Marmite, a yeast extract made in Britain and South Africa and, using a separate recipe, in New Zealand, just won't do.

A spokeswoman for supermarket chain Wellcome said its supplier had blamed the shortage on a packaging change in Australia. She said supplies should return to normal this month.

Simon Talbot, spokesman for Vegemite's maker, Kraft, said it was "hard to believe" changes to the packaging had halted supplies.

"Rest assured we will work to ensure Vegemite is back in Hong Kong as soon as possible," he said.

David Atkins, a 10-year-old who attends the Australian International School in Kowloon Tong, was miserable for three weeks when his Vegemite ran out.

His family scoured ParknShop, Wellcome, Great and City'super stores in vain for a jar. "We have some now because Auntie Karen brought some up from Sydney, and they have plenty of Vegemite there."

David loves his Vegemite on toast, on biscuits and with cheese sandwiches. "I love the taste because it's strong and you have to eat it with something else, like butter."

Suzi Vujanovic, director of development and community relations at the school, said the tuck shop had not run out yet, but eventually would. "Kids just love their Vegemite on toast. I've had one parent saying they'd tried Marmite and Promite, but the kids just want their Vegemite. I guess part and parcel of being Australian is having your Vegemite sandwiches."

Candy Man, manager of Chicken on the Run, an Australian take-away food store in SoHo, said she had been bombarded with customers wanting information on where all the Vegemite had gone."

Jas Han is offline Registered User

My husband is born and raised in Australia and he can't stand Vegemite. I asked him the other day how are you meant to eat it? He had no idea hehe

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

You're meant to eat it thinly spread on toast or crackers, sometimes with cheese or butter. It's not good if spread too thickly - and is very strong even in small amounts.

lalligirl is offline Registered User

it's absolutely essential to have the butter to vegemite ratio just right...unfortunately, this ratio is very subjective!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast