Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

private local school or esf

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    You (similar to many others in Hong Kong) are categorizing all non-english schools into one group and calling them "local schools" and assuming they are all the same. HK Parents should realize that there are 8 types of schools in Hong Kong. ESF and International being 2 of them, there are 6 more types that many collectively call "local".
    Howard, where can we get information about these? I am quite confused sometime. I think there are private schools, DSS schools, government schools, .........government aided schools????

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    All the various types of schools are documented here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati...g#School_types
    joannevv likes this.

joannevv is offline Registered User
    All the various types of schools are documented here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati...g#School_types
    Thanks Howard
    I rarely come up here but I really learned a lot today :)

Jomama is offline Registered User
    Neither ISF nor Victoria are international schools. Both are independent private schools.

Thanks for clarifying, i get confused myself. Actually, what is the difference between Int'l schools and independent private schools, especially since both sides have IB programs? and in that case i guess we have 3 types of English schools: Int'l, ESF & Independent private? Or are they considered local private school? (1 of the 6 types you mentioned) *totally confused*

There are many private local schools that foster creative and interdependent thinking. ESF (and international schools) are not the only choice for schools that support creativity and independent thought.
    Hm, now that you mentioned it, true, I know PLK Choi Kai Yau School and PLK Camoes Tan Siu Lin Primary School both applies non-traditional interactive learning methods and are famous for it. I am not sure about the level of English there or the kinds of university the kids can get into thereafter, but if Butterscotch is interested you may try to find out more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    Actually, what is the difference between Int'l schools and independent private schools
    Independent private school is defined as : Non-profit-making (NPM) schools which do not
    receive any Government recurrent subsidies, except reimbursement of rates.
    International school is defined as : Schools that promotes international education, in an international environment, either by adopting an international curriculum or by following a national curriculum different from Hong Kong. They may or may not be profit making.

and in that case i guess we have 3 types of English schools: Int'l, ESF & Independent private? Or are they considered local private school? (1 of the 6 types you mentioned) *totally confused*
    You also have some DSS schools that are English medium.

Independent private school is defined as : Non-profit-making (NPM)...
    International school ... They may or may not be profit making.

You also have some DSS schools that are English medium.
    Oh no wonder why Int'l schools costs an arm and a leg!!
    After studying the comprehensive chart of which the link you've posted (THANKS!!), i guess Victoria & ISF are considered Independent Private schools. In that case, of the 8 categories of schools available in HK, there are 4 types that provide English medium education:

Direct Subsidy Scheme Schools [DSS]
    English Schools Foundation [ESF]
    (Independent) Private schools
    Private International Schools

...and a school spot is still so difficult to obtain...

There are also many Aided schools that are English Medium. Here are 3 of them, but there are many more:
    www.spss.edu.hk
    www.stclare.edu.hk
    www.ssgc.edu.hk/

Here is a *full* list of EMI schools in Hong Kong. Its a long impressive list of schools:
    http://www.emi.edu.hk/eng-ver/mem_list.php
    http://www.emi.edu.hk/document/0910/..._2009-2010.pdf

I truly do not believe that school spots are *that* difficult to obtain. What I have found in my experience is that parents have a goal/wish and do not look at all of their options when trying to find spots for their kids. There are a lot of English schools in Hong Kong. For one reason or another, parents tend to focus on just a few of them and do not consider others...

Thanks! Great lists! I noticed the two active-learning styled schools are not on the lists. I guess they are Chinese medium schools then :( How can I find out if any of the local English schools listed are using active-learning style? (beside calling them 1 by 1...)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast