Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Buyers be careful: Exchanging goods at Toys R Us

keninhk is offline Registered User

Buyers be careful: Exchanging goods at Toys R Us

Has anyone exchanged tried exchanging goods at Toys R Us (TRU)?

My recent case is involving an exchange of a unwanted present without reciept, however the item is a definite purchase from TRU. Amazingly the store manager has not got authorisation to do this transaction and needs to refer case to their head office.

- The feeling is that they will not exchange the goods. Anyone have had experience on this? I'm waiting for the head office rep to call...

marie313 is offline Registered User

hong kong is a nightmare for this. i tried to exchange some baby clothes from H&M that still had the tag on them, but no receipt (i just wanted to change the size as i bought the wrong one) and it was a massive hassle. they did it in the end, but only because i had a big girly tantrum! (i had only recently had a baby, and was by no means in a stable or reasonable frame of mind!).
    The lesson learned from this - always keep reciepts!

Wish I did, as I explained to the TRU store manager that it was a present and only want an exchange. Wonder why even in that position they couldn't process this simple void-exchange transaction?

Also checked with friend, and he doesn't mind I return it... So that part's alright :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Toysrus do not exchange without a receipt, even if it is one of their exclusive brands. The reason they gave me once for this was: 1. prices of toys in the store keeps on changing (which is true) and 2. They have a few toys on clearance , which are at very reduced prices, so without receipt it is very difficult for them to know the actual amount paid for that toy and so they do not exchange.
    With the receipt it is never an issue, even if you have opened the toy.

miran likes this.

Bombi is offline Registered User

I feel it is a false excuse, without receipt TRU could allow the exchange at the lowest price in the market. Thus if the item went on sale they could apply the discounted price

sdp_1985 is offline Registered User

its always difficult without invoice...

carang likes this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by keninhk View Post
    Has anyone exchanged tried exchanging goods at Toys R Us (TRU)?

My recent case is involving an exchange of a unwanted present without reciept, however the item is a definite purchase from TRU. Amazingly the store manager has not got authorisation to do this transaction and needs to refer case to their head office.

- The feeling is that they will not exchange the goods. Anyone have had experience on this? I'm waiting for the head office rep to call...
    While irritating and unfortunate, this is a very common practice amongst retailers in HK, and I wouldn't single out Toys R Us as the worst offender as many shops make it very difficult even with a receipt. Very likely that the shop manager doesn't have the authorization to do the exchange. Just today i noticed a big sign at the till at B2B stating no refunds, returns or exchanges. It is one of the things that really bothered me about HK when I first moved here, given the very generous refund and exchange policies of most retailers where I am from. You'll eventually get used to it.

If it was a smaller, standalone brand, I'd totally understand. Other big name brands will often exchange without reciept (H&M, M&S off the top of my head), even if it has been discounted since brought, they would simply exchange with the lower price. Which is why I'm surprised at the TRU store staff needing head office 'approval' and having the consumer wait.

Anyway hoping for good news next week!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast