Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By charade
  • 1 Post By penguinsix

Additional vaccination for new born babies

sdp_1985 is offline Registered User

Additional vaccination for new born babies

Our baby is 5 months old (jun 2012 born). She had been given regular vaccination by Health department as per its schedule.
    Do we need any additional vaccination ? (I read about rota-virus vaccination)
    If yes, which all vaccinations are required ? where should we go for that vaccination ?
    We are planning to visit India in Jan 2013, any special vaccination with that respect ?

charade is offline Registered User
    We did give the rota-virus vaccine and also the chicken pox one that happens down the line (1 year I think). Those are not offered in the public system free.

For India, you may consider the malaria shot but I'm not sure at what age it's safe to give that. We took our baby to India at five months and didn't give it but there were a lot of mosquitoes where we stayed in Bangalore. In fact, our family doctor in Bombay told my mum not to bring the baby to Bombay till he's a year. In retrospect, I should have at at least got those mosquito repellent bands for the baby. I'll consider the malaria shot this time around. Also, a friend of mine took her baby at around five months and she got chicken pox, my sense is that chicken pox is more common in India because a lot of people still don't vaccinate against it...

To get the additional vaccinations, you could check with any GP (many of them have them, especially the ones with kids chairs in the waiting room) or a pediatrician. Any private pediatrician should have the vaccines.
    sdp_1985 likes this.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    The US Center for Disease Control (CDC) has a chart and a 'calculator' where you can plug in your child's birthdate and get a schedule for the next few years. Of course it is based on US-guidelines for shots, which many HK doctors use, but it does include some vaccines that are not part of say the UK-NHS, like Hepatitis (though I think that is recommended for Hong Kong).

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedule...ead/child.html
    sdp_1985 likes this.

sdp_1985 is offline Registered User
    where do you get rotavirus vaccine and what are the charges.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Our baby got her rotavirus vaccine at the Wellbaby Clinic at Baptist Hospital in Kowloon Tong.