Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

34 weeks and want to change hopsptial & OB, would like to hear some advice

rani is offline Administrator
    Everything does double or triple in a private room. Even the anesthesiologist fees if you get an epidural (cost of drug doesn't include administering it). It is a HK problem. To avoid any surprises, best to sit down with yr Dr and get a breakdown of all the costs.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

evgreen is offline Registered User
    If you want to avoid or minimize tearing, massaging the perineal area is a must! I wasn't very diligent about doing the perineal massages before birth, but my OB did massage it for me for most of the time I was in the late stages of labor (in the transition & pushing stages). Even though I ended up with a vacuum suction vaginal birth, I was able to avoid an episiotomy completely and I had only 1 single stitch from natural tearing (and I'm a very petite Asian). I was very adamant about not having an episiotomy and my OB was understanding of this. If your OB makes you feel uncomfortable on this subject, I would change doctors. But like others have mentioned, you have no choice in doctors at a public hospital.

If you decide to switch to public hospital, I think you can choose to go home after a 24hr observation period if you had a pretty straightforward uneventful birth (not 100% sure on this). That way, you can maximize the time spent with baby and not worry about having a private room or rooming in. You can have the option hire a midwife to do home visits once you get home to follow up with you and baby.
    Last edited by evgreen; 10-26-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    elle and dressuphk like this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    If you decide to switch to public hospital, I think you can choose to go home after a 24hr observation period if you had a pretty straightforward uneventful birth (not 100% sure on this). That way, you can maximize the time spent with baby and not worry about having a private room or rooming in. You can have the option hire a midwife to do home visits once you get home to follow up with you and baby.
    Actually this is a good third option when considering public vs. private and I know several women who have been very happy delivering in the public system and leaving within a day (you have to sign some forms but they will let you leave without staying 3 days if you have had a normal/ uncomplicated delivery and going home with a private maternity nurse or other full time help, or part time visits from a midwife in their home for the first few weeks.
    dressuphk likes this.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I was home within 36 hours after arriving at the hospital. I didn't have to ask - they asked me if I wanted to go home! They weren't that busy so I don't think that was the reason.

dressuphk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    If you want to avoid or minimize tearing, massaging the perineal area is a must! I wasn't very diligent about doing the perineal massages before birth, but my OB did massage it for me for most of the time I was in the late stages of labor (in the transition & pushing stages).
    WOW! best OB I have heard! even did perineal massage for you!!

nzstephanie is offline Registered User
    I have only had one baby. He was born at QMH last July 2011. I cannot say a bad word about any of the docotors, nurses or other help before, during and after the birth!
    All of my antenatal care was done there at the hospital, including antenatal classes, hospital tours and 'caring for baby classes'. It was during these classes that I was informed that I am expected to have a birth plan and should take it when you are admitted for delivery. However, they did make it very clear that although they wil try their best to follow your plan, it is not always possible.
    On the morning that my labour began, I arrived at QMH at 2am. The only 'downside' to QMH was at this stage of labour, your husband can only join you during visiting hours. (From memory, this was between 8am - 10am and 5pm - 8pm). So the nasty contraction part of the labour was done without him. The nurses were VERY helpful and understanding though. Looking back - I'm actually glad that I had to do it by myself - I don't believe I would have been as gutsy with my husband there. During this time you are in what is best described as a public hosptial room with around 6 other women, you can have your privacy by drawing the curtains. Once you reach 8cm, you are transfered to a private room and your husband can stay with you until the birth. During the labour the midwifves (I was in labour for a very long time so I saw afew come and go) offered thoughtful ideas for positions and pain relief. She helped my husband massage my back and brought me cold face cloths. I requested an epidural and I received it without question.
    As for the episiotomy....I did receive one. However, the doctor did ask my permission. He stated that although it wasnt vital that I had it, it would make things easier for me and cutting 'now' rather than tearing will make the healing process more pleasant for me.
    After the birth, the baby is immediately put on your chest to suck. Dad is not hurried out of the room. There is alot of congratulations and happy people around. At my request, they even dimmed the lights alittle so it was calmer for me and baby. Once they tidy you up, baby is wrapped up and you hold him while you are transfered back to the ward. Baby sleeps in his bed right next to yours. I found the nurses were very concerned on making sure I was resting. I stayed 2 nights. At 5AM each morning they took all of the babies away to bath them/give them vaccines/do any tests they needed to. They were all ususally back my 7am (seeing a hall full of babies all lined up is a sight to be seen!).
    So, that is my opinion on QMH. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and plan to do it all again at the same place!
    dressuphk likes this.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Just wanted to comment that despite it being hospital policy in HK to do a routine episiotomy, it is absolutely the opposite in many other countries (UK, US, Australia) as it has been proven to offer no benefits and in fact can increase the rate of complications, infections etc

That is not to say that they don't have their benefits in certain circumstances, but the research clearly demonstrates that a routine episiotomy is not the best approach.

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...e.asp?ck=10004
    dressuphk and Honkyblues like this.

dressuphk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all replys, I am feeling more and more comfortable now about my decision to QMH; just one more question, how does it work with pediatrician? I know in private system you choose one and he will be there when the baby is born, how does it work in Queen Mary?
    mummy mummy hooohooo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast