Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

stroller or wheel chair

aadu is offline Registered User

stroller or wheel chair

Hi everyone

I have a cousin whos daughter is 5 yrs old and she is suffering from some disabilities and cant walk.her weight is 15 kgs at moment.

What can we suggest for her as she cant walk and can only sit on her own.Is stroller best or wheel chair ?
    which stroller can carry kids upto 25 kgs? and if a wheelchair where can i look for it?

thanks
    aadu

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

carang is offline Registered User
    I have a wheelchair we bought for my son when he broke his foot....it's ok, not great. the wheels are all small, so kid cannot wheel himself and you canNOT put anything on the back as it will turn over.

i bought it in kwun tong. they did have others and they run about $1600 or so

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Hi, the aprica presto can carry up to 70lbs.. You can read more about it here http://mobe.hk/index.php?route=produ...product_id=167
    I have a very new one which I was letting go. A buyer has paid deposit for it but has not collected. If she backs out, I will be looking to let it go.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by aadu View Post
    Hi everyone

I have a cousin whos daughter is 5 yrs old and she is suffering from some disabilities and cant walk.her weight is 15 kgs at moment.

What can we suggest for her as she cant walk and can only sit on her own.Is stroller best or wheel chair ?
    Is it possible for your relative to discuss her child's situation with a doctor? There are so many factors to consider, is the inability to walk temporary or permanent, what other health problems or issues are involved... It would be very easy to do more harm than good in this situation with uninformed recommendations.

There are all sorts of issues that go along with being confined to a chair long term, from pressure sores to exaggerated injuries due to improper support or position in the chair, and it really is best to get medical advice if at all possible rather than uninformed opinions on an Internet forum.
    carang likes this.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I am very interested in this topic as I have a daughter who is mobility-impaired. She is only 2 and does walk well around the house and short distances, but cannot (and likely will not ever) walk long distances particularly well. Am thinking ahead of what will work for her, knowing that our insurance wouldn't be paying for anything. At the moment (and likely for the next 2 years) the stroller is a suitable choice for our situation, however I know that it will not be the best choice forever. Please let us know what you DO find out... Another option is a scooter - for my daughter's disability, I've heard good things about the Pride Go-Go scooter: http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/index.asp but it is so dependent on the particular child's needs... A scooter probably is a good option for someone like my daughter who is mobile but has limitations on that mobility - and is not so good for someone who is completely immobile. Please report back!
    carang likes this.

pipinhk is offline Registered User
    You could look at something like this http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/chi...nformation.htm
    However you need to consider the specific needs of the child and discuss these with a doctor or occupational/physical therapist.
    If the child is unable to push themselves then you will need something like this until they are bigger and then they will probably need to look at wheelchairs.
    Even now they may be able to be in a wheel chair and start to learn to use it themselves but all options need to be assessed by professionals as putting someone in a wheelchair who doesn't need to be in one can do more harm than good.
    carang and elle like this.

aadu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    Is it possible for your relative to discuss her child's situation with a doctor? There are so many factors to consider, is the inability to walk temporary or permanent, what other health problems or issues are involved... It would be very easy to do more harm than good in this situation with uninformed recommendations.

There are all sorts of issues that go along with being confined to a chair long term, from pressure sores to exaggerated injuries due to improper support or position in the chair, and it really is best to get medical advice if at all possible rather than uninformed opinions on an Internet forum.
    hi

i just checked that she is suffering from down syndrome and autism and wont be able to walk on her own or manage any function of stroller or wheel chair.

pls suggest me also places in hong kong where i can look for it ?

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by aadu View Post
    hi

i just checked that she is suffering from down syndrome and autism and wont be able to walk on her own or manage any function of stroller or wheel chair.

pls suggest me also places in hong kong where i can look for it ?

I still really believe that this question is best answered by a doctor or other healthcare provider. Neither down syndrome nor autism on their own are conditions that would keep a child from walking so the child has other medical issues which are relevant and will probably determine what kind of chair or mobility assistance the child needs.

Again, if the wrong chair is used or a chair is not used correctly, it can make conditions worse or cause additional injury. A medical professional really needs to be involved in this decision.
    carang likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast