Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Domestic Helper finishing her contract + process moving forward?

ksubi is offline Registered User

Domestic Helper finishing her contract + process moving forward?

Hi - we're in the process of hiring our first DH who is about to finish her contract with her current employer in early November.

An agency will help us to process the paperwork, and my understanding is that she doesn't need to leave HK, and it'll take around 4 weeks to process her visa.

Are we liable for her salary or expenses up until the day she starts working with us?

Also, how does annual leave accumulate, and when is she eligible to take annual leave during her 2 yr contract?

Thks!

carang is offline Registered User
    of course you don't pay her salary when she isn't even working for you!

she must take her leave within the first year.

ps> if she is finished her contract and it will take 4 weeks for her paperwork to be processed, it might be easier just to let her go home on annual leave now instead of deferring it.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If you write a letter saying that you need them urgently, it can take as little as one week.

Cara is right, if they DON'T leave HK and process the paperwork here, they MUST return to the Philippines in the first 12 months. The previous employer will pay for the one way ticket from HK, you only pay for the one way ticket back. Whether they go back between contracts or whether they go while they are already employed by you, they do need to go back.

I'm not 100% sure about this... but if they go between contracts, I think you don't have to pay their wages (as they have not yet started working for you), but if they process in HK and then they go back in their first year, I think you still have to pay them when they are back in the Philippines so financially, it makes more sense for them go to back first.
    carang likes this.

ksubi is offline Registered User
    thks for your replies.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    She doesn't need to go back to the Phillipines to renew her visa, she just needs to leave HK within the first year. My helper went to Macau for the day (she paid for it herself I guess from the funds she received for a return ticket for previous employer - she didn't ask me to pay for it). Then she had her vacation leave after her 2 year contract was completed.

No. She is supposed to take her two weeks off within the first year. I am VERY certain of that. Told directly by immig officer when hiring/ renrwing two different helpers.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Carang, I don't doubt Immigration told you. I never spoke to Immigration about it, my helper seemed to know "what to do". She went to Macau a day on her day off (she didn't tell me about it until months later when we were chatting about traveling), and I know she completed a 2 year contract with me before going for a vacation back to the Phillipines for 3.5 weeks, and she definitely did not go home before coming to me from her previous employer. I'm not too sure what went on with my helper then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast