Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By karhu

Preemie nutrition

amihk is offline Registered User

Preemie nutrition

Our baby was born at 32 weeks and discharged from hospital recently at 35 weeks. While at the hospital, he was fed an enfamil formula for premature babies. Upon discharge, we asked where we could purchase this formula an were told that it isn't available and that we should use regular formula. We were prescribed some vitamin and iron drops to add to his food once a day. Since the breast milk supply is only covering about 1/4 of his intake, nutrition is a concern. From reading various forums, it seems common for parents to use a special formula for up to a year after birth, but for some reason this isn't the practice in HK. Our pediatrician also said that he would be fine on regular formula. Recently I stumbled on a branch of Mannings with Simulac Neosure in stock for some reason (haven't seen premature formula anywhere else) and I am wondering I there's any reason why we shouldn't be feeding him this instead. For some reason it's even lower priced than the regular Similac formula.
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    the more you breastfeed, the more you will produce.

otherwise, just follow the doctor's advice. they wouldn't tell you that regular formula is fine if it wasn't.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I'm with Carang. No formula on the market has the antibodies of breastmilk.
    I don't know what hospital you were at, but they really should have been promoting BFing / pumping, especially for a preemie who needs that protection even more.
    My friend had a preemie at a government hospital, and pumped for her boy the whole time he was in the ward -- and pretty quickly transitions to 90% breastmilk when he got home.
    If breastmilk is only 1/4 of his intake, then you will want to BF / pump more now, so your body knows to make more milk.
    If you're BFing so little, your milk may go down if you don't reverse the trend early on. Good luck!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Are you feeding / pumping every 3-4 hours? I know it's tiring, but it's worth it.
    My baby -- who was only a little early, but underweight -- took on weight very quickly and had no colds / flus / allergies for the 9 months I BF.
    If you can afford them, Annerley Midwives can send a nurse to your house to help teach you how to BF more efficiently
    http://www.annerley.com.hk/index.php
    A more affordable option is to go to their regular baby checkups.
    Also try La Leche League for advice.

karhu is offline Registered User
    Yes breastmilk is all the more important for a preemie than a full term baby! Feed your baby direct will save you the hassle of pumping and probably can increase your milk supply easier as your baby will help you regulate your milk output.

Not sure why hk has no preemie formula, maybe because hospital practice requires the baby to be fine on regular formula upon discharge??? I think they don't discharge until baby is 5lbs min, at the government hospital, not sure about private though! If hospital and pedi said ok for regular then I'm sure it is!

Hope you and your LO are both doing great :)
    carang likes this.