Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Moving to HK at 24 weeks - need help please

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by seejune View Post
    If you want to deliver in private system, you need to see your Obstetrician before 20 weeks (hopefully before 16 weeks), then your obstetrician will make a booking for you. Most private hospital do not accept booking after 20 weeks of pregnancy - which means you can either go to the public system or give birth in your home country. Good luck!
    I'm sorry, but this is just factually inaccurate. If there is room in a private hospital a booking can be made at anytime through an OB who does deliveries there. There is just rarely any space left, but certainly no rule that private hospitals do not accept bookings after 20 weeks. Also, booking between 16-20 weeks is leaving it too late to get a confirmed booking for most Hong Kong private hospitals - they start taking bookings at 8-9 weeks and fill up fast after that. Rarely would you be guaranteed a bed if you start looking at 16 weeks.

whyqqqqq is offline Registered User
    I hope this helps a little - I was on the waiting list for a bed at Matilda (tried to book at 8 weeks) and my OB's office was not worried about it at all. From what I understood, it happened all the time (wait listed) and she had never had a patient denied a bed when the time came for delivery just because it was HER patient and they just got you in!
    (I ended up flying home to deliver anyhow as I really wanted a comfortable home birth with family around)

Maybe call a few doctors' offices and see what they say before worrying so much about not getting in?

Hope this helps and good luck!

Camberwell is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice and experiences. Seejune I am nearly 19 weeks now and will be 24 weeks when I land, I'll have all of my hospital notes with me when I land, my husband has booked me in to see an OB a couple of days after I arrive, Dr Belinda.

Fingers crossed all will go well!

Mrs P is offline Registered User
    My advice is to deliver in the UK because of future citizenship rights for UK. :p

Mrs P is offline Registered User
    If that means anything to you. If your child, born outside of the UK, marries a non UK citizen, your grandchildren will not be granted UK citizenship. One of my kids is born in the UK and the other, in HK. My other half always jokes that he wants my younger to marry a UK citizen. :)

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    As long as her grandchildren are born in the UK, they would be granted UK citizenship. But if the child marries a non-UK citizen *and* the grandchild is then not born in the UK, then they wouldn't automatically become UK citizens (though if they moved there and lived there for long enough they could apply for it).

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    Unless the OP decides to stay in HK permanently then her baby can be naturalized when they return to the UK. This will give her child full citizenship and the right to pass on their citizenship to their children.

lcg97 is offline Registered User
    Hi
    Firstly - congratulations!
    Just to share a conversation I was having yesterday with someone who recently moved to HK when pregnant, she has spent some time chatting with the ladies at Annerley and has found them to be extremely helpful in calming her nerves and giving her some very practical and useful advise. Annerley is based in Central - but easy to reach from Kowloon or you could give them a call before you move over here.
    I have found being pregnant in HK very easy and have got great support. I've been seeing a private OB to get some consistent support through the pregnancy and someone who can spend time with me explaining everything plus the opportunity for lots of scans to see our little one! I'll then be giving birth in the Public system which seems to be really good (other than some language / bedside manner challenges) and equal to, if not better than, what i would have expected through the NHS in the UK. Have had antenatal classes at Annerley and they will also do some home visits with me after the birth to help with Breastfeeding, baby check-ups etc.
    I hope this helps - feel free to PM me if you have any more questions - still don't have the baby yet so can't give you the full details of the process - but can share experiences up until now :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast