Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Free Kindergarten

charade is offline Registered User
    The voucher scheme covers education in Chinese. While there are expat parents who want their children to learn Chinese, there are Chinese parents who want their children to be fluent in English and believe (with some justification) that this fluency is not going to be acquired by learning English as a second language later in schools. Of course, parents have the option of paying the steep fees for English education and of course, it will be the lower income parents that cannot do so. Therefore, except for the exceptional cases, the kids from lower income families grow up with poor English, find it tougher to get a university place (university education in Hong Kong is in English) and would have a harder time getting white collar jobs. And the cycle goes on.

Then again, I wonder if Hong Kong has enough teachers qualified to provide English classes at the level required to promote fluency.

Jomama is offline Registered User
    No, students may use chinese as the cirriculum language in many universities in HK. I know a friend who submits her sociology papers in Chinese, and her level of English is quite poor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

charade is offline Registered User
    As far as I can know, of the UGC-funded institutions HKU, HKUST, HKBU, CityU, PolyU, Lingnan have adopted English as the medium of instruction except for Chinese-related subjects and some specially approved subjects. CUHK may be an exception.

Jomama is offline Registered User
    Hm, interesting, my friend went to Poly U and she used Chinese for all her papers. Got her degree... Anyhow, the key is the exposure to English starting from from an early age is definitely an advantage thoroughout life, and underprivileged definitely have much less access to it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12