Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bedding for cot...what to buy?

First timer is offline Registered User

Bedding for cot...what to buy?

Hi there, this may seem like a daft q but I'm confused. I don't have a moses basket, I plan to put newborn straight into cot. What bedclothes do I need? I have mattress protector and fitted cot sheet and have sleepsuits and swaddles. Do I swaddle baby in sleepsuit or in babygro? Do I put a blanket over baby, e.g. cellular blanket? Baby due in next two weeks. Advice badly needed!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I used a miracle blanket which I got from mother care...kind of like a swaddle but tight so your baby will feel safe and sleep easier. If you use a blanket make sure to wrap the sides underneath the mattress so it won't suffocate baby when baby is able to move...now, of course it shouldn't be a problem..but, a safe practice nevertheless. Good luck with everything! Don't let too many things stress you! Try to get as much sleep as you can and enjoy the baby! :)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    All you need in my opinion is some fitted sheets and mattress protector and then either swaddles or sleep sacks. Depending on the weather I would put them in long / short sleeve pj's (fleece or cotton) in a cotton / fleece swaddle / sleep sack. Mind you, my second lot was born in the winter in the Midwest so cold!

Gemma is offline Registered User
    For the first few months, your baby won't be able to roll around. Personally I reckon just a sleep suit and a swaddle blanket well tucked in. By the time you wrap a swaddle blanket around and have it all nicely tucked the baby would have around 2-3 layers on him already. And dont forget, babies shouldn't be overheated, this had been proven to be a risk factor for SIDS. We started straight with a cot bed, never bothered with a Moses basket.

matemate is offline Registered User
    second the ones above, don't use a blanket since it's likely too much, creates a risk of overheating (SIDS) and creates the additional risk of the kid getting tangled up in it and not being able to breathe.

just use a swaddle alone, or a (thick or thin) sleepsuit. in hong kong weather you don't need more than either of the two

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    I did the same as everyone above. Fitted sheet, sleep suit/pyjamas and a swaddle, then later a grobag. I am only just trialling a blanket this week and my son is just about to turn 2. You can get grobags of different thickness so your baby has one appropriate for the temperature.

giginium is offline Registered User
    I have a question about fitted sheets. I bought over a playpen / cot from Canada and I can't seem to find fitted sheets with the exact measurements in Hk.

I have read that it's best to have sheets that actually fit the size of the mattress for risk of SIDS and suffocation later when the baby starts reaching and pulling.

Bb is due very soon so I'm looking at my options. Any thoughts?

karhu is offline Registered User
    There are European size cots where you can get fitted sheets in European chains like mothercare and ikea... And then there are n American sizes and Asian sizes...not familiar with Canadian sizes but you can try jusco/wing on and Eugene ... They have cots of various sizes....

Yes, fitted sheet and mattress protector... You also had an extra sheet smaller than the cot that we tucked under the mattress to prevent having to change the fitted sheet every time baby spits up... Onesie underneath... Long sleeves cotton pj and swaddle in air con and when it's cooler and now with this weather onesie plus long sleeve pj plus 1.0 tog sleeping bag