Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Expecting a Miscarriage

OlympicMummy is offline Registered User

Expecting a Miscarriage

Ladies, I have been advised by my doctor that my 8-week pregnancy is no longer viable (heart rate is only 63bpm which is not an improvement from last week's and size is 10 days off) It's been a horrible week but after today's visit to the doctor, I'm starting to accept it. Since there is still a heartbeat, I will wait till it stops then decide whether to do a D&C or just miscarry naturally.

My question is, should I miscarry naturally in the coming days, is there an ambulance that I should call? I live in Kowloon and my doctor is at the Matilda, do I still have time to go to him or should I have an emergency alternative? If the latter, any recommendations as to hospital? Lastly, I have had a previous miscarriage and would likely want to get the tissue tested for anomalies/causes - anybody how much this costs?

Many many thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

mimimimimiiii is offline Registered User
    Hi, I'm sorry of what are you going through right now. I think you should do something that you feel right and good for you or the baby. You can always call the ambulance if you are emergency, they will send you to the closet hospital nearby your place. And I heard in Hong Kong private hospitals are not the best one, in the opposite, Queen Mary is the best hospital in Hong Kong. I had a miscarriage the last time and I did it at Sanatorium hospital, it depends on how big your baby is. I was 12 weeks and it cost 30,000.
    Good luck and be strong!!!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Sorry for your pain & loss. I had a miscarriage in between my oldest and my twins. Started bleeding a little past 9 weeks, but strong heart beat, but heart stopped beating at 11 weeks after all. Had a d&c as I really needed to get it over with as it had been a difficult and stressful 2 weeks already (plus we had a holiday planned about a week later). I found the d&c very smooth, quick and pain free. Went home a few hours later, little bleeding and got my period 6 weeks later again. I can't tell you what to do, but I have no regrets about the d&c. Have no idea about cost as I had mine in the US, has been more than 7 years now. Good luck & stay strong.

Thouarella is offline Registered User
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It's a really difficult time. I had a similar-ish situation, at 8-weeks there was no heartbeat so my doctor offered me the various options, wait, take a pill or do the D&C. At first I really wanted to wait for it to happen naturally but after a week or so, nothing had changed, I was feeling worse than ever physically and the waiting was really frustrating. So I decided to have the D&C at the Matilda and I'm really glad I did. It was totally painless, very quick and we could move on. Another bonus was then they were able to collect the tissue and send it for testing right away. Very very little bleeding afterwards and period came 5 weeks later.

4 months later we are pregnant again. Our doctor said there was no problem with us trying again right away.

Good luck with your decision, just make the one that feels right to you. I personally didn't want to have the D&C till I was ready for it.

I would speak with your doctor regarding the ambulance, other recommended hospitals and cost. Sorry I can't remember how much it was for me. When I spoke with my doctor about miscarrying naturally, they seemed to indicate that I would not need to go to the hospital, just do it at home. And I'd have to come back in a few weeks for a scan after the bleeding stopped to make sure that everything was out. Problem then is saving the tissue for analysis.
    Last edited by Thouarella; 12-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.

OlympicMummy is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies, ladies. I must admit, it's very painful losing this "baby" and have been trying so hard to put a strong front. I keep feeling my tummy and softly whispering to my baby to hold on, if he can. I still feel pregnant, with an obvious bump (I show early and big) which saddens me more because I have nothing special to expect out of the experience.

I have a repeat check on Monday. I don't know what I'd do if there is still a heartbeat. It's my birthday on Tuesday and despite the odds being against me, I'm praying for a miracle gift.
    Posted via Mobile Device

bobotse is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by OlympicMummy View Post
    It's my birthday on Tuesday and despite the odds being against me, I'm praying for a miracle gift.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I've just prayed for you and little baby as well. Hoping for the best...