Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maternity leave

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yes it is unfair! good luck.

karhu is offline Registered User
    If ur baby comes after due date, by labour law you are entitled to extra leave that equals to the number of dates ur baby is late for, eg 3 days past due date you get 3 extra days of mat leave, but you still get paid 10 weeks even though baby is 2 weeks late and you get extra 2 weeks off to spend with baby but it will be unpaid (this was explained by my hr)

And yes I lost holidays during my mat leave too :(

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I also lost my Easter holidays while on maternity leave. Though bubs did make up for it by arriving 2 days after I started my leave!

Dillon is offline Registered User
    Has anyone had any problems taking off longer than the legally allocated 10weeks? It seems so short I was hoping to take maybe at least 12 or maybe 6 months. Can my company refuse to allow it? Also how about your annual leave within that year? Can you take all of that plus maternity leave?

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    As far as i know your company only has to give you 10 weeks (starting 2 weeks before your due date). If they want to give you more they can, but they don't have to. If you're normally allowed to choose your own annual leave they should allow it, unless they've got a great reason why you would need to be back at work at that time.
    Last edited by Aquarian; 03-24-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Re-reading this thread though, I can't believe there are some companies who are counting annual leave as part of maternity leave! That's terrible! Are they allowed to? if your contact says, say, 20 days AL, surely you're entitled to that on top of maternity leave?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Dillon is offline Registered User
    I can't find any mention of it on the government website. Its a bit grey. Its rubbish that you appear to lose public holidays.

I found this:"11) For the avoidance of doubt it is declared that* *maternity leave * *is, and shall be granted, in addition to*annual leave *to which a female*employee *is entitled under this Ordinance and that any*rest day *or*holiday *that falls due during* *maternity leave * *shall be counted as part of the* *maternity leave * *and shall not give rise to any entitlement to an additional or other*rest day *or*holiday *or toholiday pay *in the case of a female*employee *who is paid* *maternity leave pay * *for that*holiday ; and where no* *maternity leave pay * *is paid to the female*employee *for that*holiday *she shall be paid*holiday pay *for that*holiday . (Added 22 of 1981 s. 3. Amended 48 of 1984 s. 7) "

So it looks like you lose public holidays but not AL. That's how it is in my company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast