Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Queen Mary Birth

Siesta is offline Registered User
    Carang, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I was just saying that there might be other weird set up with healthcare and geography.
    As for the HK bureaucracy, I have stopped trying to understand and apply logic, I just do as told :)

birdster is offline Registered User
    Seems I'm fine to give birth at the PY.... catchment area not an issue

carang is offline Registered User
    Siesta, my post wasn't directed at you. Glad that they will let you deliver at QMH. like i said, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that the outlying islands on that side of HK are supposed to belong to the eastern hk island cluster. makes much more sense that they belong to the western island cluster.

i have heard of people using friends' addresses/relatives' addresses etc to get around the catchment system. so, it is possible to "work the system"....

i just wanted posters to be aware that the catchment/cluster system exists so that they can plan accordingly.

Could someone who has been through the public system clarify the process for me

I went to register today at the PY and have been given a booking appointment date of next week

When I go to that I will be 11 weeks... what happens at that first appointment and then how many more appointments / scans / check up's do you get after that ?

I am keen to go fully public for birth and all check ups (I can think of better things to spend my cash on than the amount you can spend of private Obs appointments/scans/checks) but they wouldn't tell me what the stages of check ups are when I went today as they said.. "step by step" we will explain all that at the next appointment

Just want to know if I will get a scan soon

Also for downs/viability testing when is that done ?

Thanks a lot ladies

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You will probably get one scan done around 20 weeks. Downs testing is not always done - it depends on the mothers age and also if they have availability. You can wait til your appointment and ask the doctor then about downs testing but if you definitely want it done and they do not offer it to you, you may need to go private for that.

Oh... I thought downs and viability test would be a standard as it is in the UK

Will ask when I get there on Monday then as that's important to us

What if you have a fetus (god forbid) that has serious development problems ? Is that only detected at 20 weeks ?? And then what if you're that far along ?

charade is offline Registered User
    Since 2011 when i went through the public system for my baby girl born in jan 2012, they offer every woman a free downs screening. But for tbe 20 week morphological scan you'd have to go private unlesd they deem that you particularly need it. This is a change from when i delivered my boy in 2010. So unless they have changed again you should get the free downs scan. In my experience, if theres a scan scheduled you should have an appointmnent slip with ultrasound written. If not, they may schedule it on anpther day but fairly quickly as it should be done by 14 weeks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Siesta is offline Registered User
    My experience so far:
    I'd had the DS scan and "12 week" scan at 13 weeks and a more in depth scan at 20 weeks. I had an separate appointment for the 20 week scan, not for the "12 week" scan. they asked me if I wanted DS screening by scan or blood test, I said scan and was put in the queue at the end of my first appointment.
    I got an appointment about every month after that, then every 2 week from week 30 and I have been told that I will get weekly appointments from week 36.
    I have not seen a doctor at every appointments, just the midwife.
    However, compared to the UK, I have been seen by a doctor more often (never in UK until the day I gave birth) and I have had more appointments and tests ( such as 2 Glucose tests - none in the UK).
    Maybe because I am classed as ancient since I'm 40 this year?
    That's with a straightforward pregnancy.
    This is not PY but public at QMH. I would imagine they follow a similar protocol though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast