Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

The Baptist and Union Hospital

joyathk is offline Registered User

The Baptist and Union Hospital

Hi,

Visited The Baptist and Union Hospital on Monday and here is what I could understand from my first meeting.
    1. The Baptist is a smaller place and may be little older than the Union Hospital.
    2. And bacuase of the small size, the Baptist seems to have more personal touch than Union.
    3. Got chance to see the rooms in Baptist(private and twin arrangement) and they were just ok in size. For Union Hospital only saw the rooms in pictures so not so sure about the exact size but I am assuming they will be fine.
    4. The list of doctors on the Baptist hospital panel is only 3 while Union has many more Gynaec on their list.
    5. Cost wise they look quite similar to me.

Can someone please share any specific feedback for any of these two hospitals and most importantly I am still not sure how to choose the doctor from the list the hospitals have provided. I am in my 6th week and really want to consult a doc asap. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Regards

charade is offline Registered User
    "I am still not sure how to choose the doctor from the list the hospitals have provided."

Do you mean you don't know who to pick? For Baptist, I can recommend Dr Jimmy Mak. I saw him for my second child for antenatal care but in the end did not deliver with him in Baptist but went public because I needed an emergency c-sec and couldn't afford the private care.

One of the things I felt about Baptist was that the ward was kind of cramped (compared to United Christian the public hospital where I had my first child and where I ended up having my second too) and there were a lot of noisy vistors about. But my friend was in a semi-private room and if you can afford that, then it should be fine. Also, if you are interested in breastfeeding, keep in mind that while they say they are pro-breastfeeding, it has to be very self-driven. So while Dr Mak sounded supportive when I spoke to him about it, in the end, it comes down to the nurses in the ward and they're used to bottle feeding the baby in the nursery. Though if you're in a private room, again, you could have your baby with you and it would be different.

As for Union, a couple of my friends who delivered there went with Dr Yu Kai-man and were happy with him.

Thanks for your reply @charade. I should have mentioned it earlier that I don't speak chinese and would need a doctor who can communicate well in English. From what I am hearing it seems most of the doctors should be ok with English.

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi there, I had my two at the Union with Connie Yuan. It was positive experience with the doctor and the hospital. I speak Chinese but I have English speaking-only friends with have delivered it there and loved it too. The doctor that the previous mentioned is the one the have. ( sorry, can't spell his name)

My sister delivered at the baptist and she was only ok with it. I did not like the layout of the hospital.

Pm me if you like more detailed comments.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by joyathk View Post
    Thanks for your reply @charade. I should have mentioned it earlier that I don't speak chinese and would need a doctor who can communicate well in English. From what I am hearing it seems most of the doctors should be ok with English.
    I don't speak Chinese either. Dr Mak's English is very good. I saw Dr Yu being interviewed on TV once and his English seemed fine too. I've never actually met a doctor here who doesn't speak decent English so don't worry about that when picking.

Thanks @charade and @carey for your response. I have finally decided on the Union hospital and tried to get appointment with Dr connie Yuen but she is not available aroundmy due date. There is another lady doctor Diana Lam with whom I have booked an appointment now. Would love to hear from people who have consulted her. Thanks