Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP: Please give me advice

vivianchung is offline Registered User

HELP: Please give me advice

My son is turning to 3 and staying in pre-nusery. We got an offer from St Catherine, Kowloon Tong for K1. Recently, I read many books of Montessori and totally agreed its approach. So I'm planning to put him in Montessori school from coming Feb to Aug. Then he will start his K1 at St Catherine.

- Can anyone give me advices on this arrangement?
    - Is it difficult to 3 years old kid adopting different environment and people in this short period?
    - Any recommendation on Montessori school in Kowloon side? I mean the "real" Montessori. I just found that Best Concept is 1 teacher to 14 students!!!

carang is offline Registered User
    don't know how effective it will be to put a 2 year old into montessori for 5 months....

ps> i believe the 1:14 is legal ration of teachers:students. of course, a place could have a smaller ratio, but the maximum # of teacher/kids.

jojojo is offline Registered User
    My son goes to a montessori school in Sheung Wan. There's 2 teachers in his class with 14 students. And honestly for a true montessori classroom to work, 1 teacher to 14 students, that's just not going to happen.

jojojo is offline Registered User
    My son is at Discovery. He's pretty happy there. The teachers are caring and loving.

marie313 is offline Registered User
    in montessori, it is as much about the environment as the teacher. children are encouraged to be independent and work alone, so whilst 1:14 is not ideal, it is certainly do-able if the kids are good. you will probably find that there is a teaching assistant in the class as well?

however, i think it will be pretty disrupting to move him to a new school just for that short period of time - as soon as he adjusts and makes friends it will be time to go again. At this age children need a stable environment, and whilst some can adapt easily, for others it can be really tough.

if you are that interested in montessori, why not just do it at home? Let him do stuff for himself, pour his own juice, clear up his own toys, you can make or buy almost all the materials. Read up on the theory behind montessori and you will see it is pretty simple.

BTW I trained in montessori and taught it for many years

Jomama is offline Registered User
    Another option is to do a weekly Saturday class, which I know is available at least in my son's school (DMS-DB). This is not ideal as there should be at least 2-3 classes per week, but it could be complimentary to doing Montessori at home if that is a possibility.
    Posted via Mobile Device