Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

miscarriage

lalligirl is offline Registered User

miscarriage

I had a scan two days ago, and unfortunately the baby's heart is no longer beating (7w approx). I have tentatively opted for the 'wait and see' approach to miscarriage and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I was mostly wondering how long it took from finding out that a miscarriage was expected to it actually happening. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but it would be good to get an idea of what to expect. My husband and I have a couple of days away booked in Singapore at the end of the month (30th) & my check up scan is the 28th, so I guess i want to know if it's likely everything will be 'clear' by then.

cheers

birdster is offline Registered User
    I had the reverse happen to me with a bleed and then no heart beat detected at 7 weeks... I feel for you as it's terrible

One word of caution I ended up having a D&C to remove the remainder of what was left and ended up being potentially not able to have children as the practitioner took away too much of my womb lining. It's taken me 3 years to be able to get pregnant again

I would err on the side of caution with D&C if they offer you one.

But that's just my experience and I guess quite a rare case

thanks birdster. it's awful that happened to you. but wonderful that you've been able to get pregnant again. I was definitely thinking that D&C would be the last resort (I really believe that most of the time, our bodies do what needs to be done) & truthfully I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for this trip! my husband and I ummed and ahhed about taking it. I finally booked it & the very next day i started bleeding.

You will no doubt get pregnant and it will stick when the time is right

Scary stat of 1/4 don't work out for simple reason they just woudn't be condusive with life.

Unfortch its something horrible us women go through but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger I guess

Hope you can still have a lovely holiday

And as for miscarriage bleeding it's not so bad that you can't still go on holiday.. it should just be like a very heavy period. Hopefully you're all clear by the end of the month tho

sselarka is offline Registered User
    I have had 3 miscarriages, one resulting in a D&C. If you are already bleeding, you likely won't need a D&C. The only reason I had one was bc my body didn't expel the "products of conception" as they called it in the US, and it had been 5 weeks since the fetus had died. The other two miscarriages, I had bleeding. In the US they just did an ultrasound and there wasn't anything there any more and in HK, at Queen Mary, they did blood tests to make sure that my HCG levels continued to drop until it was back to the normal range.
    I would say, go on your vacation, as this is the time to relax and unwind. If you do need a D&C, it can wait a week or so. There is also a chance, that this early on, it could just reabsorb back into your body.
    Also, from what I have learned, if you are wanting a baby, try again as soon as the next month, as your hormones are still a bit all over the place and your chances of getting pregnant again are higher. My 2 1/2 yr old was conceived about 6 months or so after my second miscarriage and I am now pregnant again (with twins!) just 2 months after my 3rd miscarriage. No fertility help what so ever. Hang in there and feel free to PM me with any questions. Best wishes!

thanks so much for your replies.

i'm worried that if i go for my scan on the 28th & there are still some "products of conception" remaining & i need a d & c - how long does it take to recover? ...though it seems like it will be unlikely that i'll need a d&c?? it's only 2 days before i'm supposed to go. am only going for 3d/2n so.maybe if one is necessary waiting a couple of days won't hurt.

thanks again ladies!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using GeoClicks Mobile

Joeyj is offline Registered User

cytotec

Hello lalligirl,

Very sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

Unfortunately I too miscarried at 10w4 back in Dec 2012.

In a very similar situation, I was due to fly to London after my miscarriage. My OBGYN suggested I waited to pass it naturally. I was going to London for 2 weeks.

In my two weeks in London, I bleed like a heavy period but only for a short time.

When I got back to HK, I had another scan and unfortunately I did not pass the sac.
    My options were either D&C or using medicine (Cytotec). 4 tablets were placed vaginally to help open up the cervic to pass the sac. There are various reports on how effective / painful Cytotec is. My main concern was that I didnt want a D&C so I wanted to give it a try.

I was given cytotec at 1:30pm and by 3pm I had intense diarhea (sp?!) It wasnt pleasant and this is one side affect. I had stomach cramping too (wasnt agony, but pretty painful. (Other accounts can be more painful). By 6pm I had more diarhea & Cramping and then a VERY HEAVY Gush of blood (I mean a LOT) and Passed a lot of clots and what felt like the sac (I didnt dig around to see!). I was on the toilet - some are not so lucky and I think have some pretty bad stories of bleeding in public.

I bleed for the rest of the week and had a followup scan 7 days after the cytotec. The good news - I'd passed the sac, the bad news - I still had a very small amount of clots/blood in me. I decided to have another round of cytotec as I want to clear my system as soon as possible (as there was not much lwft inside- a D&C wasnt needed). This time, less painful - BUT I did take panadol an hour after cytotec so I think it masked the pain.

I am due another scan this coming Monday - Hoping I am cleared. I am still bleeding (light-period-like) today.

I would recommend cytotec if you can't pass naturally. My OBGYN says it is effective for 80% women, but you maybe lucky and pass completely naturally without meds.

I wouldnt chose D&C unless it was the last resort.

Good Luck - as I said I went to London for two weeks, so try to Enjoy it if you can.

Message me if you want any more details.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast