Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Playgroup (Kowloon Side)

Docious is offline Registered User

Playgroup (Kowloon Side)

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and my first baby was just born last month.

I have heard that parents apply playgroups for their child as early as before the baby is born! Hope I'm not too late. I'd be grateful if I can get some recommendations of reputable playgroups preferably on the Kowloon side so I can start my research and application for my little one.

Thanks for your help!
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    Kowloon is a very big place... where exactly are you looking? also what type of playgroup do you want? music focused? art/crafts focused? general playgroup? english? cantonese?

Docious is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang, I can drive so basically locations that are convenient for parking and are safe areas would be fine.

I'm looking for general playgroups for now and perhaps any that are better for advancement into reputable kindergartens would be great. Would prefer those with both English and Chinese sessions..

Usually how many days per week are playgroups and are there any on the weekends? At what age (months) do most HK babies start going to playgroups?

Thanks very much!

carang is offline Registered User
    first: all areas of hk are safe! so that doesn't need to be a worry.

at 1 month old, really you shouldn't be worried about getting into the right playgroup, to get into the right kindergarten, to get into the right primary, to get into the right secondary, just to make sure that your 1 month old will be able to attend university in 19 years time. ;-)

yes, there are some places that have a long waiting list. i have run a playgroup in tsing yi for 5 years and we do have a waiting list, but it is mostly for saturday classes. the movement in the class enrollment changes sometimes on a weekly basis. best thing to do would be to do a little asking around, do a google search, find the ones that you might be interested in, then contact them and ask about their procedures for signing up.

also, most playgroups will offer a free (or reduced price) trial class that you can try before you commit.

how many days/week? each playgroup will be different, so that is one of the things you can also ask about.

at mine, the parents are able to choose how often they want to come with their baby. some come only once/week, i've had others come 4x/week. it is really up to the parents at my centre. i don't like to dictate as to how many times kids need to come. every family has different financial abilities and i don't want to stop someone from coming because they cannot afford to come 3-4x/week. but not all places will be the same.

Jomama is offline Registered User
    Docious, I think what you need to do right now (which I failed to do when my son was born) is to register your child for certain SCHOOLS, not playgroups, if you haven't done so already.

Like yourself, I was researching on playgroups and registered my boy for a good one, but realized when he's already 18 months that some Schools take registration from birth and i was already too late. I'm not talking about playgroups, but through-train schools which starts from kindergarten all the way to highschool graduation. Just a few off the top of my head: German-Swiss International school, Discovery Bay Int'l School, Yew Chung Int'l School etc. Those are the ones you need to register early if you are going for Int'l schools. From what I heard certain local kindergartens also take registration from birth as well, but I have less info in that area.

Good playgroups are everywhere and not hard to get into. What you might want is kindergartens with playgroups available within their system.
    Posted via Mobile Device