Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

public hospitals and ultrasounds

SCM
    SCM is offline Registered User

public hospitals and ultrasounds

Hi there, I am around 8 weeks pregnant and have just registered at Pamela Youde Eastern Hospital (private is not an option for us) - they told us that they only do one ultrasound at 20 weeks, which is a little worrying as we were expecting one at around 12 weeks as well. We're considering paying for the additional scan for peace of mind, as 20 weeks is so long to wait to see our baby - any ideas how we go about this? Thanks!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    the 12 week scan is part of a test for trisomy disorders (like downs). if you're not high risk (over 35) the public hospitals won't offer it for free. it just measures the neck, though obviously you get a chance to see your little one. i *think* you can get it done at a public hospital if you pay or you can arrange it privately -but be careful if you choose to go private as many doctors who offer this screening aren't actually qualified to do it.

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    Prince of Wales public hospital offers the 12 week ultrasound for everyone now. Wonder why Pamela Youde doesn't.

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    Queen Mary also offers the 12 week scan for everyone now.

TNJ
    TNJ is offline Registered User
    Hi :)

I'm registered at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.. I went in for my appointment when I was 9 weeks 5 days, they were very informative and gave me an ultrasound because I was clueless to how far along I was! I'm now 11 weeks pregnant but had the same worry.

My best suggestion would to seek a private ob/gyn somewhere in HK, however if your gonna look at central area apparently it could cost up to 1000 and if your as paranoid as me and would like an ultrasound 1/month its a bit pricey! I found an ob/gyn in Yuen Long (where I work) that is gonna cost me $770 for an ultrasound.

Fingers crossed it goes well!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

birdster is offline Registered User
    I am also at the PY and went for my booking appointment this week

I am over 35 and they offered a scan at between 11 - 13 weeks for downs testing so I guess I fell into the older category

This is a Ultra sound scan and you get to see the baby then.

prettynvain is offline Registered User
    I had one at 12weeks, then sometimes if they cannot get the heartbeat via the doppler, they will do a quickultrasound just to see the heartbeat.. Even quick, but then I can see my little one.. Then at 20weeks which is they call Congenital Anomaly Scan, wherein they will check every parts and organs as well as the gender! I believe there's one more when you're almost there.. This is to check baby's position..