Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

New to HK - helper timing, referrals and any other tips for Dummies? :)

iBok is offline Registered User

New to HK - helper timing, referrals and any other tips for Dummies? :)

Hello!

I have read the government info, some agency pages and lots of these helpful threads. However, I'm still a bit confused about how to work through this process.

Our situation is that I have come with the kids first to get settled. My husband is the work visa holder - so the proof of financial ability and accommodation will be under his name. He hasn't arrived in HK yet, so does not have proof of residency (though we have his inactivated visa).

So, am I right to think I can't apply to employ a DH? It will have to be my husband? It would be great to have someone as soon as possible!

My preference is to employ someone who has been personally recommended through a connection or a local direct hire. If he is arriving in early February, what timing for completion of contract should i look for? I am confused about the DH returning home thing.

As I understand it, the application process takes 4-6 weeks and this can only start after my husband arrives in HK, so it is better to find someone who will finish at the beginning of February, so they have time to go home before they start?

If you have any helper referrals, they will be gratefully received.

Thanks so much!

rani is offline Administrator

You will not be able to apply until you've found a place to stay and have an ID card. Proof of income, your husband's HR dept can simply write a letter stating that he's employed and his monthly salary.

Helpers who are currently in HK and have completed their contracts do not need to return home. A change of employer will take less than 4 weeks.

Have a look at GeoExpat.Com. There are hundreds of helpers listed

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classif...cat.php/cat/16

Have posted some tips on how to find a helper through the classifieds here:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/1...ead245158.html

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thank you!

Hi Rani,

Thanks very much for the helpful reply.. I will be following your tips!

What I'm not sure about - I guess I will ring up and enquire:
    - can I employ the helper myself?

We have signed a temporary lease but that is in my husband's name. Any proof of income will also be in his name, but I was wondering whether having sufficient funds in a bank account will do?

I have a dependant's visa but do not have the HKIC yet. He will not get his work visa stamped until he comes.

- to clarify - helpers just stay here in their own resources and wait until the next contract starts? There was something on another thread about the helper needing to go home within the first 12 months.

- if I have to wait for my husband's arrival in early Feb to start the application process, what sort of finish date for the previous contract should I look for?

Thanks again!

Siesta is offline Registered User

You can employ the person yourself. If I remember correctly, we had to include a copy of our marriage certificate and my husband visa/hkid (this is because the proof of sufficient income was in his name, like you I was his dependant and not working)
    You can email the immigration department with your specific queries, they do answer back fairly quickly.

rani is offline Administrator

Yes, helpers normally move into boarding houses in between contracts and you are not expected to cover their expenses.

A Domestic helper visa is 2 yrs. Every 2 yrs the helper is supposed to go home before a new contract starts. However, if the helper chooses not to go home Immigration will give her an extension to stay for 1 year. Basically she will receive 2 one year visas. So she needs to go home within the first 12 months. We usually did this with our previous helper, as her contract ended in May, and we needed her during school time to pick up our son etc. So she would delay her holiday until the summer.

Yes you can sign the contract but you do need a proof of residence. Make sure one of the utility bills or your land line is in your name and not yr husband's.

Bank a/c balance should also be ok for proof of income.

I would look for a helper who's contract also ends in early Feb.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thanks again! This is what I found out..

I took your advice and contacted immigration directly (easier than I thought it would be!).

They confirmed that either I or my husband can employ a DH. A marriage certificate is sufficient to prove income etc for me, together with the relevant documents (eg. Contracts, bank statements, etc).

You need the HKIC before you can apply - stamped visa in the passport is not sufficient.

Now, the uncharted territory of finding someone!